KickStarter/PledgeMusic - Let's Go Support Some Bands/Labels

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
rival
Little Ghost

KickStarter/PledgeMusic - Let's Go Support Some Bands/Labels

Post by rival »

I don't know about you folks but I really like the idea of helping fund someone's dream and there's not an actual "Kickstarter" thread so I thought I'd start one.

I've backed a few projects in the past. Some have come to fruition, others have not. I thought this would be a great place to post projects that might appeal to the Swirl.

Here's one I stumbled upon tonight. I was intrigued by their project's video, I liked what some of the tiers had to offer so I checked them out on YouTube and I'm most likely going to back them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/798 ... e?ref=live

Anyways, I hope this thread becomes useful...Help someone with their dream. It feels pretty good.

EDIT: I guess we can put all the "project funding" sites and stuff all in one thread....Changed the title of the thread a bit.
Last edited by rival on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Re: Kickstarter - Let's Go Support Some Bands/Labels

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Ahh yes, the early millennium is making a comeback....

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ali ... ce=unknown

Essentially this site is the same as Kickstarter and they have some great incentives for donations.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

After getting burned on $50 bucks, I'm reluctant to do it again. There's no course of action through kick starter if the thing goes bad.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Re: KickStarter/PledgeMusic - Let's Go Support Some Bands/La

Post by TwinkleLights »

rival wrote:I don't know about you folks but I really like the idea of helping fund someone's dream
+1 :)

rival wrote: and there's not an actual "Kickstarter" thread so I thought I'd start one.
So glad you did. Great idea :)
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

Great idea to put this thread here though. I'm sure there's a bunch of worthwhile projects underway. I'd be glad to see them!
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

greginchains wrote:After getting burned on $50 bucks, I'm reluctant to do it again. There's no course of action through kick starter if the thing goes bad.
That's a huge bummer. So I'm guessing you pledged, the project was successful and then they left you hanging? Of the projects I've funded, a few have been pretty large scale. If something were to go sour with those, it wouldn't have been brushed under the rug. From what I've witnessed, it's been a great experience. For me, it's a place to discover and get music. If it's a band that interests me, I'll drop the funds for an LP...or CD if they don't have LP's.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

rival wrote:
greginchains wrote:After getting burned on $50 bucks, I'm reluctant to do it again. There's no course of action through kick starter if the thing goes bad.
That's a huge bummer. So I'm guessing you pledged, the project was successful and then they left you hanging? Of the projects I've funded, a few have been pretty large scale. If something were to go sour with those, it wouldn't have been brushed under the rug. From what I've witnessed, it's been a great experience. For me, it's a place to discover and get music. If it's a band that interests me, I'll drop the funds for an LP...or CD if they don't have LP's.
Oh no! What project/website was it where you got burned?

Here is my Kickstarter profile page. I backed them all to get records: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/jonnyh
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

rival wrote:
I believe he's referring to this incident:

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... an#p133855
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Several around here got burned on that one.
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

runofthemill wrote:Several around here got burned on that one.
Oh yes indeed, many of us did.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933 ... t-southern
22 hours left on this one, and it's definitely happening.
vinyl, handprinted cds, and etc
plus they're about a 100 bucks over their goal already
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

greginchains wrote:
Still can't apologize enough for that one, guys.
Everyone involved knows the story, but our newer members don't. How about a little qualifying for those who don't know?
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

mojoryan wrote:
greginchains wrote:
Everyone involved knows the story, but our newer members don't. How about a little qualifying for those who don't know?
Yeah, sorry Ryan. No ill thoughts towards you, just a shitty situation.
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

mojoryan wrote:
greginchains wrote:
They can read the link and understand. And it was definitely out of your control. I wasn't gonna mention who it was or anything.
Last edited by greginchains on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a_fiendish_thingy
Little Cream Soda

Post by a_fiendish_thingy »

If anyone here are big old classic Nintendo fans, you might want to check this band out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189 ... epic-new-a

Theyre called I Fight Dragons, and they are trying to raise funds for a new album after leaving their label. The label thought that the band's style wasnt profitable, and they had ideas for albums that would never fly under a label. This new album is going to have vinyl be the primary format (the first one they have done on vinyl). The kickstarter was started a little over twelve hours ago, and they are already at about double their goal, and have hit almost every stretch goal already. So its going to be a triple gatefold with blue vinyl (180 gram) a graphic novel and poster. Plus a 8-bit fireball picture disc.

Anyway, they are a pop/rock band that utilizes retro Nintendo hardware for sounds and backing tracks in their songs. They are certainly not everyone's cup of tea (they are much more poppy than all of Jack's bands) but theyre great fun and pretty awesome live. Just thought you all would appreciate a band trying to do something exciting, particularly since it revolves around their first vinyl LP.