I hate flipper haters
No votes
I am a full-time flipper
No votes
I am a recreational flipper
9%
I don't give a rats ass
68%
I've been known to flip but assuage my guilt by bashing those who do it more often while repeatedly citing my love of music
7%

Total votes: 57

anonymousbrunette
Little People

FLIPPERS!

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Are haters cluttering your forum threads? Do you feel self conscious selling that extra blue Van Lear Rose? Then the Flippers thread is for you! Voice your opinion in a soothing, monochromatic environment TOTALLY anonymous! Hate flippers? Love them? Be as rude as you like (because its never stopped you before) with virtually NO repercussions! Act now!
Last edited by anonymousbrunette on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
cwja
Little Ghost

Re: FLIPPERS!

Post by cwja »

Just so we're clear. Is this thread about gymnasts or dolphins?
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

this thread is silly!

[edit] = you need another option ara - "i get a kick out of the hypocrisy around the concept of flipping on the swirlie"
Last edited by elduderino on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he is everything i hate...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... please keep all flipping flipper comments in this thread! That would be amazing, then maybe I could find things I was actually looking for in other threads!
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

cwja wrote:Just so we're clear. Is this thread about gymnasts or dolphins?
Pinball would be my choice.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
redsox401
Little Acorn

Post by redsox401 »

Without the flippers all of us that can’t make all the releases would never be able to get one, except for the random mail orders. We the collectors are the ones valuing these releases 6x over cost. You shouldn’t blame anyone for buying a few extras to sell or trade, that’s the business side to collecting. A lot of the arguments are about “Flipping them for x times their original amount”. People just need to realize things depreciate and appreciate in value after they are bought at cost. Limited vinyl appreciates and TMR vinyl does it very fast because of supply and demand. If every person bought a Tri for $15 and only valued it at $15 when they resold them there would be a lot less NM or M tri’s out there. People wouldn’t care if they played them over and over, or left them out in their hot cars. No one who has any sense about collecting or economics should think they are entitled to something at cost through a second/third party. If you didn’t make it to the release in time to be in the first 100 then that’s your fault not the guy who bought one for himself and his kids. Now if your nice to people and don’t call them dicks maybe they will give you a friendlier price, just something to think about.
Hi
JWhiteIII
Little Acorn

Post by JWhiteIII »

It's a vicious circle.
Across the Rio Grand-e-o.....
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

It's the gift that keeps on giving or the herpes outbreak that just won't go away. Depends on your POV I guess.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

agreed that buying - selling / trading is a part of collecting,, im just not comfortable with the idea that if there are two people left in line, and there are two limited records left, you buy both and turn around and tell the dude behind you, haha i just bought the last copy (which is my second copy) for 15 but il sell it to you at market price which is 200,, this is an extreme example, but this concept is exactly whats happening,,

third man says one per customer rule to be fair to all people in line,, taking extra people to buy records that you will instantly flip on ebay is nothing more than a loophole to that rule,, flippers arent dicks and they arent wrong either,, lets just say it isnt as thoughtful as people who dont buy that extra copy so that someone else in line gets one,,

the problem isnt flippers,, as long as demand far outstrips supply there will be incentive to flip shit on ebay for massive profits,, and living in an awesome capitalist country we cant blame them,,, the only solution is for TMR to make more of these limited releases so that the prices settle to more accessible levels ,, there everybody wins,, if instead of 300 TDs they made 600, then
1. tmr makes more money which is good,
2. collectors that cant afford the $500 initial resell price can maybe get a copy for substantially less
3. the homeless employer flipper has less $ incentive to pay homless dudes (ok so not everybody wins, the homeless dudes get paid less money)

people will argue that if they arent limited we wont like the releases as much, bulshit, i dont care how if there are 300 or 600 TDs made or what the market price is (since i wont sell it ever), im just happy i have one,,im lucky i can pay but most people cant

TMR has gained a ton of following with these limited releases, now they have to find the production volume that will keep them price accessible to teenagers and broke dudes as well,,, as of now the only people collecting limited TMR shit is people in nashville and rich record collecting assholes like us that can spend 500 on a piece of plastic,,
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

actually, TMR's stated policy was one per household (well, stated to me by a number of TMR employees, including swank and blackwell). but i don't think they even try to enforce that anymore. in the past, i have seen the wife shot down after her husband bought a tri, for example.
he is everything i hate...
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

achouza wrote: [...] i dont care how if there are 300 or 600 TDs made or what the market price is (since i wont sell it ever), im just happy i have one [...]

TMR has gained a ton of following with these limited releases, now they have to find the production volume that will keep them price accessible to teenagers and broke dudes as well,,, [...]

Couldn't agree more with these points.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Arran_Ramone wrote:
achouza wrote: [...] i dont care how if there are 300 or 600 TDs made or what the market price is (since i wont sell it ever), im just happy i have one [...]

TMR has gained a ton of following with these limited releases, now they have to find the production volume that will keep them price accessible to teenagers and broke dudes as well,,, [...]

The special releases concept was formed for the collectors - how is possible to be a "real" collector if you're broke?
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I hate all the other flippers on this forum. Flippers suck. I hope you all find a conscious and quit.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

love_islander wrote:
Arran_Ramone wrote:

The special releases concept was formed for the collectors - how is possible to be a "real" collector if you're broke?
I guess just because they were originally created for the collector market, doesn't mean they don't have a wider appeal. I'm not a collector, I just like good music and pretty colours ;)