Things you hate, pet peeves, etc...

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Re: Things you hate, pet peeves, etc...

Post by scoliosispony »

arewhyehen wrote:Does anyone else find it disturbing when they see others post photos of custom furniture based on Jack white, or clothing custom made, rooms painted Jack white colours, people getting tattoos of Jack white or other obsessive things like it's now their entire lifestyle? Or am I just not a big enough Jack White fan anymore? I don't know..but some of the things I see people post is quite disturbing to me...
If Jack sparks creativity in folks that's awesome! Making art is great. I've known tons of people who got tattoos linked to different bands as well. I worked at a hotel and an old man came in one night with the guy from the Aqualung cover on his forearm. It looked really cool. The fandom is inspirational, really. That folks have been impacted by his art so much that they feel compelled to create and adorn their living spaces with stuff like that reminds me how powerful a force music is. And honestly making stuff is way cooler than what I do, obsessively tracking variants of wax that I could easily find standard versions of. To each their own. What's disturbing to me, mostly because it makes me sad, are folks who aren't that into music. The ones who just listen to whatever and don't own any albums and have never felt a strong emotional connection to any artist's work. The TV watchers who spend 4+ hours a day playing video games and haven't made anything since kindergarten. It takes different strokes but seeing that lifestyle bums me out.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

arewhyehen wrote:Does anyone else find it disturbing when they see others post photos of custom furniture based on Jack white, or clothing custom made, rooms painted Jack white colours, people getting tattoos of Jack white or other obsessive things like it's now their entire lifestyle? Or am I just not a big enough Jack White fan anymore? I don't know..but some of the things I see people post is quite disturbing to me...
Oh, it is a bit off-putting for sure. But it's been happening forever whenever someone develops a powerful image in music. Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson. They all had a specific style that was imitated by their fans. People have Beatles tattoos and there are those with entire walls of their homes dedicated to Elvis. It's happened forever, man. I wouldn't worry about it.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Oh, it is a bit off-putting for sure. But it's been happening forever whenever someone develops a powerful image in music. Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson. They all had a specific style that was imitated by their fans. People have Beatles tattoos and there are those with entire walls of their homes dedicated to Elvis. It's happened forever, man. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah I know it's been happening for awhile. I just don't understand the obsession I guess. The other day I saw someone who knitted a blanket with the white stripes swirl on it...or custom shoes with the TMR logo on it. I could make a list a mile long. I mean, if an artist inspires you to do something creative or unique, then by all means...but these people that are just plastering white stripes or Jack white or TMR logos all over everything they own...it's disturbing to me. I don't see the point in that.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

scoliosispony wrote:
If Jack sparks creativity in folks that's awesome! Making art is great. I've known tons of people who got tattoos linked to different bands as well. I worked at a hotel and an old man came in one night with the guy from the Aqualung cover on his forearm. It looked really cool. The fandom is inspirational, really. That folks have been impacted by his art so much that they feel compelled to create and adorn their living spaces with stuff like that reminds me how powerful a force music is. And honestly making stuff is way cooler than what I do, obsessively tracking variants of wax that I could easily find standard versions of. To each their own. What's disturbing to me, mostly because it makes me sad, are folks who aren't that into music. The ones who just listen to whatever and don't own any albums and have never felt a strong emotional connection to any artist's work. The TV watchers who spend 4+ hours a day playing video games and haven't made anything since kindergarten. It takes different strokes but seeing that lifestyle bums me out.
Sure, but there is a big big difference in being inspired to do something creative and then just plastering a persons face or logo all over everything you own. I am all for artist creativity but don't consider most of the stuff I see creative haha. It's just..weird.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

...keep in mind, I am a guy who has driven up to 18hrs one way just to see a concert. I take a day or days off work to wait 8-12 hours in line for a show. I go to probably 40 shows a year and spend all my spare money on records. I am very into music... Just baffled by this recent obsession with all these fans making an effort to have every single thing in their home Jack White related.
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

arewhyehen wrote: Sure, but there is a big big difference in being inspired to do something creative and then just plastering a persons face or logo all over everything you own. I am all for artist creativity but don't consider most of the stuff I see creative haha. It's just..weird.
I guess I know where you're coming from. I've seen some posts of pretty elaborate Jack shrines that personally I'd feel weird having in my home. But I'm sure if we got to know some of the folks we see that from really well we'd probably find that they have a lot more going on than what we see in spaces created for geeking out over shared interests. And I've seen equally opulent shrines (entire basements) to sports teams complete with all sorts of memorabilia and ephemera. A lot of these shrines we see posts of probably inhabit bonus rooms and basements. That said, I know folks who would think all the albums I have two copies of is weird. I'll get weirded out when someone gets a peppermint swirl paint job for their car or only dresses their children in white and red, lol. I have wondered what it's like to be the child of a superfan. It's probably like being the child of a religious nut. Some will end up fans and others will end up hating Jack.

chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

In the early days of Beatlemania fans would ask Freda Kelly, who ran the Beatles fan club, for pillow cases the Beatles had slept on.
...and they got them.
In the early days of Third Man Records a girl has a paint chip taken from the Blue Room on display in a small glass vile.
It happens.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

scoliosispony wrote:The TV watchers who spend 4+ hours a day playing video games and haven't made anything since kindergarten.
TV and video games are just as valid an art form as music, and one could very easily argue that playing a video game requires much more creative input from the consumer than listening to music does.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I have my own version of the blue room .... I love it. Needed a dark color for the theater and did not want to do all black or for sure any browns. The blue of the blue room is perfect. No reflections from the projector and definitely a color thats enjoyable to sit among.

My little garage is fixing to become Nashville Predator colors !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

Alabama Woody wrote: My little garage is fixing to become Nashville Predator colors !
That should look really cool!
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

Jamie wrote:
scoliosispony wrote:The TV watchers who spend 4+ hours a day playing video games and haven't made anything since kindergarten.
TV and video games are just as valid an art form as music, and one could very easily argue that playing a video game requires much more creative input from the consumer than listening to music does.
I was referring back to the stuff Ryan mentioned that people were making, not implying that the passive act of listening to music is somehow better than watching TV or video games. All of that is fine in moderation.

Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

matthewvh wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote: My little garage is fixing to become Nashville Predator colors !
That should look really cool!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

When a package you are waiting on decides to make a city trip.
Miami > London > Amsterdam (so close!) to.... New York! :lolno:
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

HammerOfTheGods wrote:When you make a deal with someone and everything goes perfectly smooth. You leave great feedback, and the other party doesn't leave any feedback for you.
Its not on some people's radar. Just ask them.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

When people start assuming things a month before third man makes an announcement and of course, they assume the worse and send everyone into a whirlwind shitstorm and everyone stresses out. Then of course everyone panics and does obsessive things and offer up their babies for records. (See facebook groups). This is why we have people lining up days before events and why collecting has become less and less fun over the years. I don't see it getting any better soon..