Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
icdvet
Little Ghost

Re: Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Post by icdvet »

Jamie wrote:For the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one.
That is in fact the origin of this phrase.
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Nah, Third Man still has staying power because Jack is still active and making consistently great music himself. I feel like this is still the beginning for the label, nowhere near the end. They're like SNL. Peaks and valleys but they still surprise us from time to time. They'll be around for a while.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

They've only been around for a bit over four years. Why on earth are y'all judging their output so early in the game?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I don't think every release is for everybody. Personally I don't get a lot from the re-issues, and many of the live releases. Much as I would love every release to be a new JW influenced track that ain't gonna happen so rather than be a completest I just hop on and off the bus as the music grabs me these days. In the words of Taylor Goldsmith " Don't try to learn every word when you should simply hum along"
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Jawsh wrote:Is it just me or is their output getting out of control?
No.

Also: Can we please have a long, long moratorium on the phrase "jump the shark"? :roll:
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

flattop2001 wrote:...I just hop on and off the bus as the music grabs me these days. ...
I'm stayin' on the bus, I just look out the window when stuff that doesn't grab me comes up.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Wait, wait, wait.
TMR putting out content is a bad thing?
:roll:

I've only been on board for a few months now so I can't speak much for what people feel TMR "used to be", but I'm pretty happy with the way things are shaping up.
Many releases are better than no releases.
Don't give me that quality over quantity business neither!
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

I don't think you understand the term "jumping the shark". The ICP single would fit that term, but everything else you mentioned doesn't. I don't see how reissuing old blues and country records is a cheap ploy to rake in lots of money.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

NotACollector wrote:I don't think you understand the term "jumping the shark". The ICP single would fit that term, but everything else you mentioned doesn't. I don't see how reissuing old blues and country records is a cheap ploy to rake in lots of money.
I don't think you understand what the term means either. It has nothing to do with pandering to the masses or selling out artistic integrity for financial gain, jumping the shark is describing the point where the product hits a low point in terms of quality from which is cannot recover.

The OP said they perceive TMR to be a niche label, so jumping the shark would be the correct term to describe the fact that they're now releasing $250 Great Gatsby LPs and new series of singles in large volumes, from their point of view at least.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

I really miss TMR bringing new talent to the table that I've never heard of, unfound talent per say. Lately, there hasn't been as much of that.
I could care less about the blues re-issues. Lots of that kind of stuff out there on a wide variety of labels to be found.
I really enjoy the Black & Blue series, the Shins, Human Eye, Melvins, etc... amazing imo.

I don't think everyone will like everything any label does but I would like to see more talent being discovered and released via Third Man instead of focusing on names like Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.

One more Wanda record and I'm slitting my wrist :-/

Just my $.02 worth
Grim
I am everything you hate...
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Grimtale wrote: One more Wanda record and I'm slitting my wrist :-/
Don't do it grim. It's not worth it.

I like sharks
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Grimtale wrote:I really miss TMR bringing new talent to the table that I've never heard of, unfound talent per say. Lately, there hasn't been as much of that.
I could care less about the blues re-issues. Lots of that kind of stuff out there on a wide variety of labels to be found.
I really enjoy the Black & Blue series, the Shins, Human Eye, Melvins, etc... amazing imo.

I don't think everyone will like everything any label does but I would like to see more talent being discovered and released via Third Man instead of focusing on names like Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.

One more Wanda record and I'm slitting my wrist :-/

Just my $.02 worth
Grim
It's nice to see that somebody else thinks highly of the Black and Blues. My favorite thing about TMR is the shows and the black and blues. Highly underrated what they are doing there.

I liked Wanda when she performed live with Jack and he orchestrates the whole concert and kills it on guitar a time or two. That stage was full of quality musicians and Jack fit in real well. Her voice gets to me after a while, small doses !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Stl_ben wrote:Would mentioning Ty isn't from Nashville be going to far in my fact checking?
Just like your not from Seattle, nobody gives a shit.

Ty has played in Nashville many times. Has many ties there and friends. He sounds like Nashville "rock". I jut clumped him in there. The point I made multiple times is that I would love to see more up and coming bands from Nashville do a 45 with TMR and that includes TY. They are in Nashville now, we have had enough Detroit Rock for now, lets support local artist.
Last edited by anonymousbrunette on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed img tag so picture not automatically shown
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

NotACollector wrote:I don't think you understand the term "jumping the shark". The ICP single would fit that term, but everything else you mentioned doesn't. I don't see how reissuing old blues and country records is a cheap ploy to rake in lots of money.

If you ask Blackwell he will tell you that was one of the best 45's that TMR has put out. I'm not a fan of it myself.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Alabama Woody wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Would mentioning Ty isn't from Nashville be going to far in my fact checking?
Just like your not from Seattle, nobody gives a shit.

Ty has played in Nashville many times. Has many ties there and friends. He sounds like Nashville "rock". I jut clumped him in there. The point I made multiple times is that I would love to see more up and coming bands from Nashville do a 45 with TMR and that includes TY. They are in Nashville now, we have had enough Detroit Rock for now, lets support local artist.
What detroit rock have we had enough of, Woody? Surely I'm not the only one who wants more. Underwear Heads doesn't count as Detroit rock. More of an oddball release...

To be honest, I really just want more White Stripes unreleased/Racs/DW. No Nashville, no more oddball singles. Just the stuff that they know we like ;)

Please don't reply. I don't feel like arguing. Thank you for posting that to Ben. He had it coming. :)
Last edited by anonymousbrunette on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: removed img tag so picture not automatically shown