Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Jawsh
Little Bird

Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Post by Jawsh »

Don't make this out to be a bashing TMR topic.....I thought when they threw out the ICP blue series that it (jumping the shark) might have occurred....but the output afterwards proved that false.

I feel though with 3 document record issues....sun records reissues.....the vault.....numerous bands signing on...soundtrack special projects....blue series....green series....live series live to acetate....live singles....random tracks(ie: Willy Moon) and so on. I kind of feel Third Man becoming more of an all encompassing label, and losing out on that niche flavor it used to have that made it so appealing to me to begin with.

Is it just me or is their output getting out of control?
AJ123
Little Ghost

Re: Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Post by AJ123 »

I get that they are trying to grow as a record label and encompass all different styles and preserve historical tunes but I agree, they should slow down. Its impossible to keep up with all the releases unless every single record I buy is from TMR.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

It's just you.

In all seriousness, they still have the ability to have the cool niche releases as well as the more public-friendly ones. I can't think of one record they've put out that's horrible. (Except ICP. Sorry :( )
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

AJ123 wrote:I get that they are trying to grow as a record label and encompass all different styles and preserve historical tunes but I agree, they should slow down. Its impossible to keep up with all the releases unless every single record I buy is from TMR.
So they should slow down because you (the completist?) needs to have everything they release? How about you only buy the stuff you enjoy?
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

Jettkoral wrote:
AJ123 wrote:I get that they are trying to grow as a record label and encompass all different styles and preserve historical tunes but I agree, they should slow down. Its impossible to keep up with all the releases unless every single record I buy is from TMR.
So they should slow down because you (the completist?) needs to have everything they release? How about you only buy the stuff you enjoy?
I don't NEED to have everything they release and I'm in no way a completist. I do enjoy most everything they put out though, I've discovered a lot of new artists that are now some of my favorites through TMR.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I love it myself. I'm not near as I guess "Indie" as some on here. I like that they put out a diverse collection of music. I love the new vault package and would have loved to sat in on that show. Willie, Neil, Norah. That's quality musicians/music right there. I like the Document series, it is History and music is History. The Sun reissues are interesting, again History. I did not like ICP, I'm not real BIG into the Detroit scene, but I'm glad to be exposed to it. I get bored quick so I'm glad they are pumping out the tunes.

I think somehow they need to stock/display all the records they have released. When you visit the store you don't really get a grasp of just how many records they have put out.
They need to display the whole shebang. For all to see.

The problem is that it's hard to have it all. But if you can live with black vinyl and be patient and buy things when they are on special or offered in "sets" it's not hard to keep up.

They have a lot going and they have a lot to be proud of.

My favorite thing is still the fact that I can go to a show for usually $20 or less (many times $10) and see a great band in an intimate setting with an awesome sound system.............then buy the show on black and blue vinyl. That's to damn cool.

I hope they keep it going. They have accomplished a lot. They have blended in nicely in Nashville.

OK, I'm a fanboy.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

For the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one.
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

People just need to stop trying to put Jack and the Bens in a box...
Last edited by TwinkleLights on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Well damn...young Jett-I said pretty much what needed to be said, aside from;
Didn't have to be snarky
Mildred was crap (but I "get" it)
The Doc series and Sun reissues are important and very relevant
I thought the GG was beautifully done, yet flawed, don't care for the music on it, per se, and still don't think they've jumped the shark
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I wish they would put out a record for all the Nashville bands that people like so much. I wonder since many have started selling their own records like JTB if that's why they don't. Some could say that Infinity Cat copies TMR in a sense. Maybe that pisses Jack off. But then again maybe its better for Infinity Cat to release the Nashville Bands on their own. I wold like to see a Turbo Fruits 45, Ty Segal 45, Natural Child 45, I could go on and on. National coverage for those bands.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

@woody
Infinity Cat just celebrated their 10th anniversary. They've been releasing Nashville music since way before jack rolled into town.
Ty Segall gets national press.... For example NPR has HEAVILY covered his new release.

Ok I'll stop there this thread is dumb and sleep is probably a good idea.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Stl_ben wrote:@woody
Infinity Cat just celebrated their 10th anniversary. They've been releasing Nashville music since way before jack rolled into town.
Ty Segall gets national press.... For example NPR has HEAVILY covered his new release.

Ok I'll stop there this thread is dumb and sleep is probably a good idea.
You seem to over think my post, I don't put a lot of thought into them, maybe you should foe me, lol. I was just ranting on and on. Infinity has been around 10 years but I think that they are much busier now than they were 10 years ago. I know Ty gets national press, he would not mind some more. All I was saying is I would like a Nashville series of artist. Did not mean to throw out some facts that were not spot on. You can go to sleep now. Sorry about someone making a dumb post, I thought it was a good one, fair question.

Do you spend your whole life just correcting people? I know, I know you do a search before posting anything and you only post pure facts and your opinion is the right one. Brother, I'm just shooting the shit. Posting for fun. Then you show up. Like you did yesterday during the day, correcting or shitting on everyones post. I left for the day after that and I'm fixing to leave now. You say when TRE enters the chat people leave, you have that effect on me here, hopefully not a lot of others. Goodnight.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Would mentioning Ty isn't from Nashville be going to far in my fact checking?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

what niche?
they earned enough respect from me with the public nuisance reissue that I can ignore pretty much anything anything else.
if anything they jumped the shark with the black belles or the great gatsby release, but regardless, in between said releases there were numerous worthwhile titles. Also, Idk if I'd ever equate the document or sun reissues to "jumping the shark".
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

Jamie wrote:For the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one.
I always see your avatar and think, "I see your value now." But with this Troy Barnes quote, I finally decided to say it.