Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Has Third Man jumped the shark?

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:Gotta remember, though, some of us peruse the forum at work ;)
Well, get back to work............... :lol:

I'm kidding of course. I should have used a link. But, the But picture is a thing of beauty. I guess I will have to go back to my old stand by which is a picture of Bart Simpson mooning you. Is that work appropriate? Or should a link be used as well?

I hope you have a nice day :D
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

Jamie wrote:
NotACollector wrote:I don't think you understand the term "jumping the shark". The ICP single would fit that term, but everything else you mentioned doesn't. I don't see how reissuing old blues and country records is a cheap ploy to rake in lots of money.
I don't think you understand what the term means either. It has nothing to do with pandering to the masses or selling out artistic integrity for financial gain, jumping the shark is describing the point where the product hits a low point in terms of quality from which is cannot recover.

The OP said they perceive TMR to be a niche label, so jumping the shark would be the correct term to describe the fact that they're now releasing $250 Great Gatsby LPs and new series of singles in large volumes, from their point of view at least.
How are the Document and Sun series low quality?

By the way, lookie here..
when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

If a gimmick were the sole qualifier, then the shark was jumped with the DWTD, WWTD, LFR, GITD, Biz, etc.; at least half of TMR's special releases are pure gimmick... How can you use gimmicks as the sole qualifier for jumping the shark with a company whose schtick is gimmickry?

While not used to keep interest in the label, they are used to generate interest in the label...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
daniel15mtsu
Little Acorn

Post by daniel15mtsu »

I agree on the Nashville piece- being a life long native myself

There are so many bars,clubs,dives,hole in a wall venues in such a small vicinity

you can pretty much hear any and everything any day of the week

some more local flavor would be great IMO

i assume JW is as up on the scene as anyone else