Third Man Upholstery

Your Turntable's Not Dead
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Re: Third Man Upholstery

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

That was quick-it's been registered on godaddy. Looks like TMR bought it up or some opportunist caught wind of this thread...
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

hawkers wrote:Didn't Jack talk about this in an interview when he was getting back to Upholstery, I knew about this for a while since he hinted at that so long ago.
White headed back downstairs, stepping over a blue plastic wagon, and out to the backyard to a yellow-and-black brick building with a sign on the wall that read, “It Pays to Upholster.” “This is my workshop,” he said. There were brown burlap sacks draped over some chairs, and sewing and woodworking equipment scattered on the floor.There were also some tools for welding, which White said he was getting into through his friend Bob Dylan. “I’d never done it before, and he’d been doing it for a while, so he kind of gave me the lowdown,” he said. One day the two of them were sitting on White’s front porch, just enjoying the view, when Dylan turned to him and said, “You know, Jack — I could do something about that gate.” “That would be pretty cool,” White said, laughing. “I don’t know what kind of discount I’m going to get.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

That's one example and I believe there were others.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

While looking at various Third Man Upholstery stuff, this interview from 2003 popped up. In it Jack talks mostly about his early days of learning the trade and his business. Thought it was an interesting interview.
http://www.believermag.com/issues/20030 ... view_white
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

^ That was fantastic, thanks for posting it!
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I think he talked about it in the WTF interview with Marc Maron, too. Maron was grilling him about the sofa they were sitting on and whether Jack could strip it down and reupholster it right then and there.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

https://instagram.com/p/9wC8WqjhWA/We knew it was coming...
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, he mentioned that in the last Vault chat. Can't wait to see it finished.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."