Produced by Tall Poppy Red

Your Turntable's Not Dead
nickboat
Little Ghost

Re: Produced by Tall Poppy Red

Post by nickboat »

Jettkoral wrote:The labels say produced by Jack White III. Sleeves say Tall Poppy Red, means that he doesn't want his name overshadowing the artists.
yeah, someone already said that^ and it's kinda pointless when it says produced by JACK WHITE III on the record in large print and in tiny tiny print on the back has this nickname. Seeing how you know what everything means... maybe you can enlighten us as to where the nickname comes from?
HUSTLE AND CUSS
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

mojoryan wrote:Who the hell is Mindy?
Mindy Watts. She works in the recording booth but I don't think she's a producer. The whole "gimmick" of the Blue Series is that Jack produces everything.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

nickboat wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:The labels say produced by Jack White III. Sleeves say Tall Poppy Red, means that he doesn't want his name overshadowing the artists.
yeah, someone already said that^ and it's kinda pointless when it says produced by JACK WHITE III on the record in large print and in tiny tiny print on the back has this nickname. Seeing how you know what everything means... maybe you can enlighten us as to where the nickname comes from?
Alright, Mr. Sassy Pants.

In a Rolling Stone article from earlier this year...
It's mostly as a fan that White is working these days with his Third Man Records, including a new three-song single with the Butthole Surfers' Gibby Haynes, though White is a little frustrated at how his involvement has been represented. "I'm going to start taking my name off some of this stuff because I like to produce 45s, but you produce a 45 of Gibby Haynes and they end up saying, 'Jack White releases new record with Gibby Haynes on vocals.' And it's not really fair," he said.
As you can see, John didn't like the fact that his name was taking away from the artists name.

The Tall Poppy part comes in from Tall Poppy Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome), where people are criticized because their talents are recognized more than fellow artists.
nickboat
Little Ghost

Post by nickboat »

Jettkoral wrote:
nickboat wrote:

It's mostly as a fan that White is working these days with his Third Man Records, including a new three-song single with the Butthole Surfers' Gibby Haynes, though White is a little frustrated at how his involvement has been represented. "I'm going to start taking my name off some of this stuff because I like to produce 45s, but you produce a 45 of Gibby Haynes and they end up saying, 'Jack White releases new record with Gibby Haynes on vocals.' And it's not really fair," he said.
As you can see, John didn't like the fact that his name was taking away from the artists name.

The Tall Poppy part comes in from Tall Poppy Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome), where people are criticized because their talents are recognized more than fellow artists.
also already mentioned before^ ... and I don't see any info on jack saying where the nickname originates... try again...
HUSTLE AND CUSS
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Jettkoral wrote:
nickboat wrote:

Okay now who is this John guy you speak of
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

nickboat wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:
nickboat wrote:

also already mentioned before^ ... and I don't see any info on jack saying where the nickname originates... try again...
You're really clueless.
nickboat
Little Ghost

Post by nickboat »

Jettkoral wrote:
nickboat wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:
nickboat wrote:

The Tall Poppy part comes in from Tall Poppy Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome), where people are criticized because their talents kare recognized more than fellow artists.
You're really clueless.
What's the question again?
HUSTLE AND CUSS
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

NotACollector wrote:
mojoryan wrote:Who the hell is Mindy?
Mindy Watts. She works in the recording booth but I don't think she's a producer. The whole "gimmick" of the Blue Series is that Jack produces everything.
Aww, I think it's so great they let a skirt try her hand at the music biz.

;)
#hyperbolicexpressionofmissinghawke
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mojoryan wrote:Aww, I think it's so great they let a skirt try her hand at the music biz.
The couple of times I've seen Mindy, she's been in skin-tight leather (pleather? I dunno, didn't look quite that closely, it was just tight) pants, not a skirt.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Kali Durga wrote:
mojoryan wrote:Aww, I think it's so great they let a skirt try her hand at the music biz.
The couple of times I've seen Mindy, she's been in skin-tight leather (pleather? I dunno, didn't look quite that closely, it was just tight) pants, not a skirt.
:lol:
That you knew I was full of shit, is just another reason I love this place.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

You've made it pretty clear that you're not that much of an asshole ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."