Your Visit to Third Man Records.

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: Your Visit to Third Man Records.

Post by Stl_ben »

Freter wrote:Did anyone get into the USN tour of Third Man Records. It's all closed up now, but you can still look at the package here
https://www.eveningclasses.org/Default. ... lId=670763

Looks pretty interesting.
This was a week ago....no one around here went and wants to report back?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

These tours are about to happen again through USN. If anyone is interested in going let me know.
Closed to the public save for a "Golden Ticket" promotional tour back in 2009, the behind-the-scenes look at Third Man Records is deserving of every single one of the countless Willy Wonka comparisons it has received. Led by BEN BLACKWELL, who does anything and everything at Third Man, the tour will snake through all the nooks and crannies of Third Man with close attention paid to the hypnotic cyc walls of the Blue Room performance space, the only live-to-vinyl recording set-up in the world and the one-of-a-kind decor/design that screams more "candy factory" than "record label." Ending in Third Man's retail store / novelties lounge, folks will have the opportunity to purchase a wide variety of records, souvenirs or various sundries offered therein. Third Man Records Age 18 and up, strictly enforced.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

I did not realize they did that. I would have signed up for that in a second. The one time I've been able to go behind the shop was before the expansion (for the Blunderbuss listening party.) Definitely worth the money, but it appears it's full. Are you coming down for this? I would love to read your review if so. Every time there's a new promo video or interview, I'm going all Zapruder film on it, pausing to see the cool stuff.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Wait, what?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Kali Durga, It's part of University School of Nashville's evening classes. There are some other cool tours listed there as well. I'm sure it would cause a hassle, but it would be amazing if Third Man started offering a weekly or monthly tour of the facilities. I would be glad to skip the middle man and just pay Third Man more of my money to see some of those hidden areas.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, I get it. Man, just one more reason to move to Nashville-- To enroll at USN and take an evening class so you can tour TMR.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Yeah the class filled up in seconds. I was on the waiting list and just finally got excepted. I just don't know if my +1 can make it so may have an extra spot....
jesxsmith
Little Bird

Post by jesxsmith »

So you can just sign up for this one tour for $50? No other classes or anything? That Hatch tour sounds pretty cool too.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

jesxsmith wrote:So you can just sign up for this one tour for $50? No other classes or anything? That Hatch tour sounds pretty cool too.
Yes they are not actual classes....just a fundraiser the college does for scholarships. Various locations donate tours, the college charges for the tours and then uses that money for scholarships.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Oh Ben, I will be glad to be your standby +1. :D Congrats on making the list either way.
jesxsmith
Little Bird

Post by jesxsmith »

Stl_ben wrote:
jesxsmith wrote:So you can just sign up for this one tour for $50? No other classes or anything? That Hatch tour sounds pretty cool too.
Yes they are not actual classes....just a fundraiser the college does for scholarships. Various locations donate tours, the college charges for the tours and then uses that money for scholarships.
Thats awesome, thanks for the info
Toledo
Little Bird

Post by Toledo »

Stl_ben wrote:Yeah the class filled up in seconds. I was on the waiting list and just finally got excepted. I just don't know if my +1 can make it so may have an extra spot....

I'll meet you there?
If you go looking for hot water, don't acted shocked when you get burned a little bit.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

stand by spot is already filled thanks for all the interest.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I bet you got a lot of pm's !
Should be a very cool experience :-) sneak in like a spy camera and share pics via email :-)
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Freter
Little Acorn

Post by Freter »

I went to the 2014 tour. It's a cool experience. Keep you eyes open when you hit the warehouse, and post what you see. I wonder if they have some unteleased projects there that they had in boxes the last time I was there.