Random Third Man Discussions

Your Turntable's Not Dead
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Re: Random Third Man Discussions

Post by runofthemill »

curseofhalos wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:And this is a darned shame. I love his voice on the answering machine at TMR... http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/ou ... ite-cowboy
Allow us to take a quick break from the usual new release and events news for a moment of retrospection this afternoon.

A good friend and charter member of the Third Man family, Larry "Cowboy" Morrison, passed away unexpectedly this past weekend. Cowboy has been with us from the beginning here in Nashville. He was our master carpenter, and together with the Sound Construction crew helped build Third Man. He's been an integral part of our lives. He helped build and sculpt our buildings with his bare hands. Fans have witnessed him all over the things we do from his extraordinary appearance in the Dead Weather "Cut Like a Buffalo" video to his distinctive Texas drawl as the outgoing message on our telephone. His large and friendly smile was omnipresent in our office, and we are so much going to miss his stories and laughter as a part of our daily routine.

He was a Stetson-wearing storyteller and a true Texan with a heart of gold. He loved and respected Third Man, and we loved him and respected him right back. His hard work and craftsmanship at the Third Man headquarters will be with us always as a daily reminder. We're going to miss the man himself as well as his large, gracious smile and hearty laugh. He was an absolutely unforgettable gentleman, full of character, and today we raise a glass to his memory and those who he has sadly left behind. We Love ya, Cowboy!
So sad. I've seen that guy at TMR many a time, and he was always a nice guy. RIP, Cowboy.
Oh, damn! True story, the cowboy shared his flask with me once. RIP
tcricha43
Little Cream Soda

Post by tcricha43 »

Kali Durga wrote:And this is a darned shame. I love his voice on the answering machine at TMR... http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/ou ... ite-cowboy
Allow us to take a quick break from the usual new release and events news for a moment of retrospection this afternoon.

A good friend and charter member of the Third Man family, Larry "Cowboy" Morrison, passed away unexpectedly this past weekend. Cowboy has been with us from the beginning here in Nashville. He was our master carpenter, and together with the Sound Construction crew helped build Third Man. He's been an integral part of our lives. He helped build and sculpt our buildings with his bare hands. Fans have witnessed him all over the things we do from his extraordinary appearance in the Dead Weather "Cut Like a Buffalo" video to his distinctive Texas drawl as the outgoing message on our telephone. His large and friendly smile was omnipresent in our office, and we are so much going to miss his stories and laughter as a part of our daily routine.

He was a Stetson-wearing storyteller and a true Texan with a heart of gold. He loved and respected Third Man, and we loved him and respected him right back. His hard work and craftsmanship at the Third Man headquarters will be with us always as a daily reminder. We're going to miss the man himself as well as his large, gracious smile and hearty laugh. He was an absolutely unforgettable gentleman, full of character, and today we raise a glass to his memory and those who he has sadly left behind. We Love ya, Cowboy!
Really sorry to hear this... Was always a really friendly guy to talk to.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

He was also immortalized on the Amy Walker Green Series, when he interrupts to mention Audrey Hepburn. I would have loved to have met the man, he definitely seemed like a cool guy.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

God, I heard about this last night and I can only imagine how shocked and devastated his children and the gang at TMR must be. I called down there today and heard his voice on the machine and got instantly sad for everyone down there. What a bummer.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Has anyone noticed little hand written notes of thanks in their recent shipments? I got one on the invoice a few days ago and one on the box today. I like it, especially during this busy shipping period.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I got one on the outside of a box, it's a wonderful touch. What struck me as especially cool is that it was being shipped to my real name, but the note on the box mentioned my Vault name. They're good.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Third Man Holiday pic?

Post by woodisgood »

Did I miss it? Doesn't TMR usually post some kind of holiday picture featuring the staff?
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Huh. You're right. I hope they do, those are fun.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

From the Tweety

"Say 'FISTICUFFS' in honor of Boxing Day to receive 20% off your purchase in our Nashville store today through 1/1. Certain exclusions apply".
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

Looks like there were 10% off in person at TMR coupons on the back of Oxford American magazines for the last 4 issues that could be combined to get up to 40% off at TMR HQ but they expire march 1st 2014. I have one of the ones marked 4 of 4 if anyone that will be in Nashville before March wants it & would use it just PM me where to send it. (First come first served & only within the shipping distance that 1 simple forever stamp via USPS will take it.)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Be careful, Jack!! http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20131 ... /311080154

Yeah, I had no idea which thread to stick that in...
Just so Tesla doesn't get any undeserved bad press... (I love Teslas), here is a response from the driver of that car.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee
Hey Aaron, have you seen any red Teslas yet? I drove past one this morning on the way to work, it was a beauty. Funny coincidence, the last verse of Astro was playing as I was ogling it.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Kali Durga wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Be careful, Jack!! http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20131 ... /311080154

Yeah, I had no idea which thread to stick that in...
Just so Tesla doesn't get any undeserved bad press... (I love Teslas), here is a response from the driver of that car.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee
Hey Aaron, have you seen any red Teslas yet? I drove past one this morning on the way to work, it was a beauty. Funny coincidence, the last verse of Astro was playing as I was ogling it.
Haven't seen a red one yet. Very very few of them around here. Mostly black ones and some white. Nashville is the only place near me where there is any chance of seeing one. The pictures I've seen of red ones are beautiful though.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

You should visit DC, there are three dealerships in the area, one of which has a Tesla charging station in the parking garage of the nearby shopping mall, which gave me a chance to peek inside one. I saw a couple of them on a regular basis last year (a green, a black, and a dark blue), then none for months, then in the last week I've seen two (a grey and the red one today). All model S, I've yet to see an X.

The logo on the hood always reminds me at first glance of the band Queensryche. Need to get that association out of my head.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

Kali Durga wrote:You should visit DC, there are three dealerships in the area, one of which has a Tesla charging station in the parking garage of the nearby shopping mall, which gave me a chance to peek inside one. I saw a couple of them on a regular basis last year (a green, a black, and a dark blue), then none for months, then in the last week I've seen two (a grey and the red one today). All model S, I've yet to see an X.

The logo on the hood always reminds me at first glance of the band Queensryche. Need to get that association out of my head.
Oh guess who has a friend that now is a TELSA mechanic up here in the Hudson Valley.... Oh me, that's who! That get's me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except I think it's totally cool that he's working for TESLA and he tells me lots and lots of wonderful things about the company. So, there's that...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Tell him to take you out for a spin in one.