Third Man Record Booth

Your Turntable's Not Dead
curseofhalos

Re: Third Man Record Booth

Post by curseofhalos »

rival wrote:How much time is on the clock to record? 2 minutes?

I'm writing a song and plan to record it the next time I'm at TMR. I also want to record the same song twice. How long does the process take and is there usually a line or would I be able to hold up the booth for the time I needed to record twice?

Thanks for any input.
111 seconds i believe.

And line just depends on when you go. You never know. Both times I've went there was no one.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

curseofhalos wrote:

I'm writing a song and plan to record it the next time I'm at TMR. I also want to record the same song twice. How long does the process take and is there usually a line or would I be able to hold up the booth for the time I needed to record twice?

Thanks for any input.
111 seconds i believe.

And line just depends on when you go. You never know. Both times I've went there was no one.
Nathan's correct on the time. And when I was there the shop was absolutely full but there was no line for the booth. One of the girls working the shop put the tokens in and let me record before I paid. She said they do this because the machine is somewhat unreliable from day to day. I'm 6'3 so it was a crazy tight squeeze, had to hold the guitar almost completely vertical and I sang in the general direction of the mic. haha I will say, the timer got down to around 10 seconds and it cut off the recording. So make sure there's nothing of importance coming up after the 10 second mark.

Whenever I was finished there was another guy wanting to record a proposal to his girlfriend. I'd seen him standing around before I went in so I guess he was working up the courage to do it. I've performed in front of big audiences before and it was still daunting going in there because of the crowded store, didn't expect to be so nervous.

We were in town for the Brendan Benson & Friends show though, I'm sure it's much less crowded on "off" days. Have fun and let us hear when you're finished!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

anonymousbrunette wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
mangry wrote:
dcmak5 wrote:what's the maximum running time for a recording in the booth?
111 seconds
I think it was 1 minute and 44 seconds when I was there for RSD. Either way, both close and way shorter than what Neil was recording. I wonder if they set up microphones in the booth and that is how they recorded.
My recording was 1:44 exactly.

Thanks for any input.

It's 1:44 for sure. Ara had the same time that we did and I also saw this again when Neil got into the machine on the tonight show the other night.

As far as the line, we were there on RSD and the store was packed and it was empty almost the whole time we were in the store. one person went in within about a 30 minute time frame.
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

Now I need an excuse to go to Nashville on a non-busy day, bring my guitar and record some tunes. While I have no immediate plans to get down there, I would like to do this before it's too late. Really hope I can make it happen.

I'm also curious if Neil's new album will spike interest in visitors going in and using the booth? I'm sure it will to some extent.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rival wrote:Cool. Thanks for the replies.

Now I need an excuse to go to Nashville on a non-busy day, bring my guitar and record some tunes. While I have no immediate plans to get down there, I would like to do this before it's too late. Really hope I can make it happen.

I'm also curious if Neil's new album will spike interest in visitors going in and using the booth? I'm sure it will to some extent.
I'm sure between the booth being on the tonight show and Neil's new album, it will be a little busier for awhile.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I know the record booth is cool. I know you Swirlers who are talented enough to walk in there and use it are lucky and I could see where that would be great fun. But I just can't get into this whole Neil Young Box Set doesn't sound to good. I love that the recordings are live and instantaneous. But could they have just scooted over a little in Jacks building and used some nice equipment and get a good sounding rendition of the songs. I love Neil Young and Jack White, my favorites !!! But damn I think the one 12" lo-fi copy I have now will do me. I so wish they would get in a studio or in the blue room. The blue room is one big recording box for Jack. Let Neil play some heart felt songs in there and record them with that fancy thing in there. For God's sake lets not make this a habit. I can't listen to it to many times. I like the songs a lot but damn lets put it on a machine that maintains its speed and has audio qualities that the "box" can't achieve.

OK - I feel better.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:I know the record booth is cool. I know you Swirlers who are talented enough to walk in there and use it are lucky and I could see where that would be great fun. But I just can't get into this whole Neil Young Box Set doesn't sound to good. I love that the recordings are live and instantaneous. But could they have just scooted over a little in Jacks building and used some nice equipment and get a good sounding rendition of the songs. I love Neil Young and Jack White, my favorites !!! But damn I think the one 12" lo-fi copy I have now will do me. I so wish they would get in a studio or in the blue room. The blue room is one big recording box for Jack. Let Neil play some heart felt songs in there and record them with that fancy thing in there. For God's sake lets not make this a habit. I can't listen to it to many times. I like the songs a lot but damn lets put it on a machine that maintains its speed and has audio qualities that the "box" can't achieve.

OK - I feel better.
I think they said they set up mics in the booth to record the songs as well, so it's much better quality. I think the box set includes a 12" pressing of that.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I know the record booth is cool. I know you Swirlers who are talented enough to walk in there and use it are lucky and I could see where that would be great fun. But I just can't get into this whole Neil Young Box Set doesn't sound to good. I love that the recordings are live and instantaneous. But could they have just scooted over a little in Jacks building and used some nice equipment and get a good sounding rendition of the songs. I love Neil Young and Jack White, my favorites !!! But damn I think the one 12" lo-fi copy I have now will do me. I so wish they would get in a studio or in the blue room. The blue room is one big recording box for Jack. Let Neil play some heart felt songs in there and record them with that fancy thing in there. For God's sake lets not make this a habit. I can't listen to it to many times. I like the songs a lot but damn lets put it on a machine that maintains its speed and has audio qualities that the "box" can't achieve.

OK - I feel better.
I think they said they set up mics in the booth to record the songs as well, so it's much better quality. I think the box set includes a 12" pressing of that.
So $100 for the one that sounds the "best" basically. I don't want all those 6" records, I have the 12" record, I guess there is a book, video of the process, I know the process.. The only reason I would buy it would be to kind of collect it, but I don't see it leaving the box much.

The late show thing was an info commercial ....
A good one, but that's what it is.
Still loved seeing Neil sing. He is one of a kind. Not many people can pull off a show like he does by himself with a shit load of guitars, harmonicas, and sometimes an organ. At any time he can play what ever he wants by himself, like it was nothing. Brilliant musician, I'm so glad him and Jack are messing around. They need to get serious ...
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

OK - I feel better.
So $100 for the one that sounds the "best" basically. I don't want all those 6" records, I have the 12" record, I guess there is a book, video of the process, I know the process.. The only reason I would buy it would be to kind of collect it, but I don't see it leaving the box much.

Still loved seeing Neil sing. He is one of a kind. Not many people can pull off a show like he does by himself with a shit load of guitars, harmonicas, and sometimes an organ. At any time he can play what ever he wants by himself, like it was nothing. Brilliant musician, I'm so glad him and Jack are messing around. They need to get serious ...
He sure is!!! One of a kind!!!

Don't kid yourself, you want a box set..haha
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

OK - I feel better.

He sure is!!! One of a kind!!!

Don't kid yourself, you want a box set..haha
Dammit !!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift, Let It Be Me

https://twitter.com/RobynHitchcock/stat ... 9282572288
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

dunedin wrote:Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift, Let It Be Me

https://twitter.com/RobynHitchcock/stat ... 9282572288
Cool!

I'm excited for the Rolling record booth that gets pulled behind the RRS. I wonder how far off they are from that one debuting.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm surprised no one's posted this here yet. From a new Apple commercial--

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kali Durga wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted this here yet. From a new Apple commercial--

I find TMR's love-in with Apple a little disconcerting (I seem to remember iTunes pre-orders for various stuff being heavily pushed) ... It's probably a necessary evil or something but it seems to me that the two don't really share the same values.

Mind you, when the whole google third d thing was announced I didn't really think twice, so maybe I'm just letting my utterly subjective dislike of Apple cloud my judgment.
Patient B1003
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted this here yet. From a new Apple commercial--

I find TMR's love-in with Apple a little disconcerting (I seem to remember iTunes pre-orders for various stuff being heavily pushed) ... It's probably a necessary evil or something but it seems to me that the two don't really share the same values.

Mind you, when the whole google third d thing was announced I didn't really think twice, so maybe I'm just letting my utterly subjective dislike of Apple cloud my judgment.
I don't understand that. TMR makes more off individual iTunes sales than physical releases. And Apple gives a large majority of the sale to the artists, unlike Spotify which gives close to nil.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...