Third Man Hints and Speculations

Your Turntable's Not Dead
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Third Man Hints and Speculations

Post by higherlimits »

I understand the reference but I don't think the people at Alt Nation were refering to that...
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

Heads Up: Our website will be undergoing maintenance tonight (Tuesday) and tomorrow night (Wednesday) between 11pm-6am CST and may not be accessible. Thanks for bearing with us.
Speculate
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

higherlimits wrote:I was listening to Alt Nation today on Sirius and they mentioned that Jack White is putting out a cupcake record. Have I missed something? I haven't been around much but I'm sure I would have read about this..
Well, if we are going to have a maple syrup filled pancake record, might as well have a cupcake to go with it. ;)
Has everything you said today been true?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I wasn't trying to make a joke with this! they made it sound like serious news!
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

higherlimits wrote:I wasn't trying to make a joke with this! they made it sound like serious news!
As far as I know, there has been no official announcement about anything to do with a cupcake vinyl. It is TMR, so who knows. But nothing official yet. I think they are feeding all sorts of strange information to different sources intentionally, which would be a very TMR thing to do. So I wouldn't get too excited (or hungry) until we know for sure.
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Post by redflag »

Well, if the Vault store were to sell black vinyl (or some other marked unlimited version) of Vault releases...what would you think of that? I would definitely scoop up some of the stuff I missed that I can't afford on ebay. Many others would do that as well so would prices overall drop? Also, since the records themselves would be unlimited, but access to them would be would they also be items people would be buying on ebay (like the inverted bolt)?
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

redflag wrote:Well, if the Vault store were to sell black vinyl (or some other marked unlimited version) of Vault releases...what would you think of that? I would definitely scoop up some of the stuff I missed that I can't afford on ebay. Many others would do that as well so would prices overall drop? Also, since the records themselves would be unlimited, but access to them would be would they also be items people would be buying on ebay (like the inverted bolt)?
Most of the Vault records are already on black.

People will always buy things on ebay, even when they are readily available for cheaper. It's the weirdest thing. Someone can find ebay, but they can't find google
profsteenmarter
Little Acorn

Post by profsteenmarter »

just visited the vault site. if you click on store, you get an error.
The store works if you go trough the general TMR site...
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Post by redflag »

JonnyH wrote:
redflag wrote:Well, if the Vault store were to sell black vinyl (or some other marked unlimited version) of Vault releases...what would you think of that? I would definitely scoop up some of the stuff I missed that I can't afford on ebay. Many others would do that as well so would prices overall drop? Also, since the records themselves would be unlimited, but access to them would be would they also be items people would be buying on ebay (like the inverted bolt)?

People will always buy things on ebay, even when they are readily available for cheaper. It's the weirdest thing. Someone can find ebay, but they can't find google
Yeah. I always figured that anyone that wanted the later Vault releases would be members by now as it is usually (but not always) cheaper. Who knows?

I probably wan't all that clear. I meant re-pressing of Vault items and making them visibly different somehow as to indicate that they are unlimited. Different labels? Different covers? That sort of thing.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

redflag wrote:
JonnyH wrote:

Yeah. I always figured that anyone that wanted the later Vault releases would be members by now as it is usually (but not always) cheaper. Who knows?

I probably wan't all that clear. I meant re-pressing of Vault items and making them visibly different somehow as to indicate that they are unlimited. Different labels? Different covers? That sort of thing.
maybe make some changes to the old items (like B&Bs on just black), but have them still be limited represses. like either press up a specific number of them and offer them for sale on the vault store, or do something similar to the vault platinum subscription where the post a preorder and leave it open for a limited amount of time, then when they close it, press up exactly how many were ordered... I think making old vault items unlimited, regardless of changing vinyl color or packaging, would be a bad idea. Not only could you potentially piss off loyal vault members, but it could also potentially devalue the originals... I think one of the best uses for it would be to offer exclusives like the did with the KE peach...

My big question would be who has access to the vault store? anyone who signs up? do you restrict some or all items to only platinum members?
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

profsteenmarter wrote:just visited the vault site. if you click on store, you get an error.
The store works if you go trough the general TMR site...
That's the URL for the old store, I guess they just forgot to change all the links. It used to forward to the new one.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I'm 100% adamantly opposed to repressing vault releases in any color. Don't see it happening, but I'd be pissed if it did. They were sold as one time releases and should stay that way.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

cwja wrote:I'm 100% adamantly opposed to repressing vault releases in any color. Don't see it happening, but I'd be pissed if it did. They were sold as one time releases and should stay that way.
I get the whole artisan vinyl thing and the romanticism behind having to order it that one time and having it made specifically for you and then never made again. I get the wanting to horde that record and make it special. I get that more people being able to order it in the future will devalue it from a purely monetary standpoint. However, it will not devalue the music on there. For those of us who buy these records not as investment pieces, but as records to play and to appreciate the music, I like the idea of being able to get a replacement. I can't afford to buy multiple copies when they come out. But some of these records get a lot of play for me and I know I will wear some of them out. I would like to have another Live in Mississippi without paying $150 - $300 for it. I won't be buying it as a collectible, I will be buying it to play. It turns out those pretty discs that some people like to keep sealed and never look at sound really good when you drag a needle over them. Of course I am not calling you out cwja or saying that you are one of those people. I am just saying that I would welcome the opportunity, as a platinum Vault Member, to selectively re-purchase or purchase less special versions of the records I love. Of course, all of this is just speculation. They may only do random special releases like the Karen Peach Scented vinyl. We wont know until it happens. But nothing else has, as of yet, explained why I saw them pumping out this Vault's 7" in black. Another potential option would be that they are only going to offer extras of new vault packages going forward. That would leave people's precious Icky Monos at their high value and just devalue the new stuff. But the value I am talking about is monetary not musical. I just like the idea that they are putting out really cool music and if it became more widely available, I wouldn't find it any less special.
magi72009
Little Cream Soda

Post by magi72009 »

When jack was on live video on the modchat I asked if there was going to be a vault store. He said something special is coming upfor vault members he didn't really give any details. I don't remebr his exact words eather tho
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Post by redflag »

sandmaniac3 wrote:
cwja wrote:I'm 100% adamantly opposed to repressing vault releases in any color. Don't see it happening, but I'd be pissed if it did. They were sold as one time releases and should stay that way.
I get the whole artisan vinyl thing and the romanticism behind having to order it that one time and having it made specifically for you and then never made again. I get the wanting to horde that record and make it special. I get that more people being able to order it in the future will devalue it from a purely monetary standpoint. However, it will not devalue the music on there. For those of us who buy these records not as investment pieces, but as records to play and to appreciate the music, I like the idea of being able to get a replacement. I can't afford to buy multiple copies when they come out. But some of these records get a lot of play for me and I know I will wear some of them out. I would like to have another Live in Mississippi without paying $150 - $300 for it. I won't be buying it as a collectible, I will be buying it to play. It turns out those pretty discs that some people like to keep sealed and never look at sound really good when you drag a needle over them. Of course I am not calling you out cwja or saying that you are one of those people. I am just saying that I would welcome the opportunity, as a platinum Vault Member, to selectively re-purchase or purchase less special versions of the records I love. Of course, all of this is just speculation. They may only do random special releases like the Karen Peach Scented vinyl. We wont know until it happens. But nothing else has, as of yet, explained why I saw them pumping out this Vault's 7" in black. Another potential option would be that they are only going to offer extras of new vault packages going forward. That would leave people's precious Icky Monos at their high value and just devalue the new stuff. But the value I am talking about is monetary not musical. I just like the idea that they are putting out really cool music and if it became more widely available, I wouldn't find it any less special.
While I play my records too, I have to admit that I like the exclusivity and rarity of the Vault releases. The rarity kind of enhances the listening experience for me. I know what I'm hearing isn't going to be on the radio (unless you have a REALLY cool station in your town) and is more of an opportunity than just a standard record purchase. All that said, I would grab a lower priced mono Icky Thump and play the hell out of it with both hands in a second. I just want to hear it. I guess...I'm conflicted :lol: