Third Man Hints and Speculations

Your Turntable's Not Dead
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Re: Third Man Hints and Speculations

Post by redflag »

rival wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
redflag wrote:Thought it a little odd that TMR only has one RSD release this year. Maybe they are planning more. Maybe not. Never can tell with them pranksters. I'm hoping that if they are dialing back on RSD releases (although you think with Jack White being ambassador they would step it up, but who knows) it means they are planning other things for the year as was hinted. At any rate, I am a REALLY happy customer.
Maybe they aren't doing much so people will go to actual record stores for RSD...that is what rsd is for right?
Back when the "pancake record" rumor was floating around someone posted a quote from another forum regarding Jack as RSD ambassador. While I think the pancake record is a load of crap (we'll see), the quote did hold some weight and I kind of agree with it in a way...

I'm paraphrasing: "Making Jack White the Record Store Day Ambassador is the stupidest idea because all he cares about is his label/bands store. What is he going to do to get people out to shops when he's trying to get people in through his own door?"

Maybe Jack is holding back a bit this year to make the focus about the event and not his label/store/band(s)/events...

...Or maybe they'll announce everything tomorrow.
That makes sense too. He could see not flooding RSD with Third Man stuff is just being a good host. Manners and all that. Or good PR. Although, even if they went crazy with the releases, people would still hit the record stores. I live far, far away from TMR and get all my RSD stuff locally..as do most people. Some of the die hards go all the way to Nashville for RSD, but they were going to do that whether Third Man put out 1 record or 50. It is true that my choices will be a little more diverse this year.

Also, pancake record? That's some satire there.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

rival wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
redflag wrote:Thought it a little odd that TMR only has one RSD release this year. Maybe they are planning more. Maybe not. Never can tell with them pranksters. I'm hoping that if they are dialing back on RSD releases (although you think with Jack White being ambassador they would step it up, but who knows) it means they are planning other things for the year as was hinted. At any rate, I am a REALLY happy customer.
Maybe they aren't doing much so people will go to actual record stores for RSD...that is what rsd is for right?
Back when the "pancake record" rumor was floating around someone posted a quote from another forum regarding Jack as RSD ambassador. While I think the pancake record is a load of crap (we'll see), the quote did hold some weight and I kind of agree with it in a way...

I'm paraphrasing: "Making Jack White the Record Store Day Ambassador is the stupidest idea because all he cares about is his label/bands store. What is he going to do to get people out to shops when he's trying to get people in through his own door?"

Maybe Jack is holding back a bit this year to make the focus about the event and not his label/store/band(s)/events...
I'm really hoping that this is the case, that they're holding back to make the focus about the day and local stores and not about TMR. as for him getting people into other shops instead of TMR, wouldn't that kinda be what the Elephant reissue is an attempt at? a TMR RSD release that isn't just available in Nash, but everywhere... I think that's kinda why they picked him as ambassador, he's high profile and is known for his record label that actually makes records. I mean I've already seen RSD talked about on more sites than ever before, even if they're only talking about it so that they can talk about Jack, then the goal of increasing RSD awareness is attained...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. A release like Elephant is good for the entire event. Making gimmicky records that are only limited to your store is counter productive. I think we're less likely to see any gimmicky records this year.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

I would love to see the Black Belles Live at TMR as a Record Store Day release.
And Simms, it's the deadline or the first half of the list, as URP sent me. There will be another list soon.
nickboat
Little Ghost

Post by nickboat »

rival wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. A release like Elephant is good for the entire event. Making gimmicky records that are only limited to your store is counter productive. I think we're less likely to see any gimmicky records this year.
I guess I'm hoping for the "counter productive" release over here... cause I'm hoping to see another gimmicky record myself. I understand that's not what everyone is hoping for but it has come to be what most expect from TMR... but I will settle for the pokey tri-color single.
HUSTLE AND CUSS
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

nickboat wrote:
rival wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. A release like Elephant is good for the entire event. Making gimmicky records that are only limited to your store is counter productive. I think we're less likely to see any gimmicky records this year.
I guess I'm hoping for the "counter productive" release over here... cause I'm hoping to see another gimmicky record myself. I understand that's not what everyone is hoping for but it has come to be what most expect from TMR... but I will settle for the pokey tri-color single.
Maybe RSD will be when they finally release that Reggie Watts variant hair record. :arrow:
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

JonnyH wrote:
nickboat wrote:
Maybe RSD will be when they finally release that Reggie Watts variant hair record. :arrow:
+1
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

The LFR (with the label being the gasoline), was the ultimate shark-jumping event they could ever make; the Reggie Watts hair record notwithstanding ;)
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Jettkoral wrote:I would love to see the Black Belles Live at TMR as a Record Store Day release.
And Simms, it's the deadline or the first half of the list, as URP sent me. There will be another list soon.
I hope it has nothing to do with the black belles.
chanticleer
Little Cream Soda

Post by chanticleer »

It's likely they've announced 'Elephant' because that'll be available at all stores and it'll start showing in inventory lists.

Whatever they sell through their own shop front is another matter though. It's less likely to be leaked so they can control that announcement much better.

I'm betting that there'll be something available in Nashville unavailable elsewhere.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I knew I would regret opening this thread.

Who cares what they are going to or not going to do? They will do what they please and we have no say over it, not will we figure it out.

This thread is a waste of time.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Hmm. When are they announcing their specials? Doesn't it seem late?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Jettkoral wrote:Hmm. When are they announcing their specials? Doesn't it seem late?
Probably not for another week or two...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I was listening to Alt Nation today on Sirius and they mentioned that Jack White is putting out a cupcake record. Have I missed something? I haven't been around much but I'm sure I would have read about this..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

higherlimits wrote:I was listening to Alt Nation today on Sirius and they mentioned that Jack White is putting out a cupcake record. Have I missed something? I haven't been around much but I'm sure I would have read about this..
Would a vulture be a better candidate for a Blue or a Green series...?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."