Third Man Hints and Speculations

Your Turntable's Not Dead
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Re: Third Man Hints and Speculations

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

They better not repress any vault releases! I paid a pretty penny for the first two packages on eBay! :lol:

I think it's going to be a similar story with the Vault store to the refresh-a-thon. People think it's a great idea, but then they'll get pissed since they don't have an unlimited amount of time to get what they want, items will still be limited, and the prices will probably be like the refresh-a-thon. All I'm saying is be ready to drop a few bucks if you have to.

As far as content, I'd want to see some EPs of tracks that didn't make the cut on the Blue Series (you know you want another ICP track...), Black Belles, etc. Shit, I'd love to see an instrumental version of Blunderbuss.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Part of the charm of TMR is that they have usually resisted the culture of immediacy and entitlement. The occasional ILB type sale is one thing, just hope that the online sales of tris and limited releases doesn't become the norm, even if it is through a Vault members store.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

People are missing the point about repressing the Vault packages. It's not about preserving value or feeling special, it's the fact that I've had to buy things I didn't really want - such as those crappy postcards, ugly t shirts and certain DVDs for example - in order to get the LP that I did want. I did this under the promise that it was the only way to get it, so if they sell them singularly later on that's incredibly shitty. Other people have also scraped money together that they may not have been normally able to spare in order to meet the deadlines, again it's shitty for those people if it turns out that wasn't necessary.

I don't care about devaluation. I play my Icky Thump Mono and I never plan to sell it so technically it's worthless.
Last edited by Jamie on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Jamie wrote:I play my Icky Thump Mono and I never plan to sell it so technically it's worthless.
So true! I always like to look at my collection and think of how much it's worth, just like anyone else, but if I am never going to sell it then it's not worth anything.

As far as TMR repressing vault packages, I really don't see that happening. I don't think we need to worry.
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Post by redflag »

arewhyehen wrote:
Jamie wrote:I play my Icky Thump Mono and I never plan to sell it so technically it's worthless.
So true! I always like to look at my collection and think of how much it's worth, just like anyone else, but if I am never going to sell it then it's not worth anything.

As far as TMR repressing vault packages, I really don't see that happening. I don't think we need to worry.
Just did that last night and thought "Hey. That's a considerable about of money. Then I realized that since I play everything, I would probably not get more for my collection that I put into it. Worth it though. Live versions, B-sides, outtakes, alternate versions. Special stuff. Needs to be enjoyed and not just sold. I usually only sell something in order to pay for something else. I cleared some space for a few Beatles first pressings recently. They sound great.

Anyway, still on the fence about re-pressings of Vault stuff. It might not even be a thing (TMR is hard to predict sometimes), but it's an interesting idea.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Jamie wrote:People are missing the point about repressing the Vault packages. It's not about preserving value or feeling special, it's the fact that I've had to buy things I didn't really want - such as those crappy postcards, ugly t shirts and certain DVDs for example - in order to get the LP that I did want. I did this under the promise that it was the only way to get it, so if they sell them singularly later on that's incredibly shitty. Other people have also scraped money together that they may not have been normally able to spare in order to meet the deadlines, again it's shitty for those people if it turns out that wasn't necessary.

I don't care about devaluation. I play my Icky Thump Mono and I never plan to sell it so technically it's worthless.
Not to mention it would be bad for business.

Why would we continue to pay our quarterly installment if I could just sign up for 1 quarter a year and buy the ones I missed minus the random third extra? Or just sign up for that $7/month online subscription or whatever and buy them that way?
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Jamie wrote:People are missing the point about repressing the Vault packages. It's not about preserving value or feeling special, it's the fact that I've had to buy things I didn't really want - such as those crappy postcards, ugly t shirts and certain DVDs for example - in order to get the LP that I did want. I did this under the promise that it was the only way to get it, so if they sell them singularly later on that's incredibly shitty. Other people have also scraped money together that they may not have been normally able to spare in order to meet the deadlines, again it's shitty for those people if it turns out that wasn't necessary.

Well if there are bits of vault packages you don't
like you can sell them.
Over the years a lot of 'exclusive' music
is resold , repackaged , with added 'extras' .
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Buy the package, keep what you want, eBay the rest, and make your money back. Pretty simple. As long as they don't turn out like the Wanda package, if you sell asap you should be able to recover your costs. Or find someone who is looking for a different piece than the one you want. Decide on a proportional amount to pay, split the cost, and you only end up paying for what you wanted. Also, just go to eBay. Everything other than the first two packages and B-shows are pretty cheap.

"It's not about preserving value or feeling special"-some correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one main ideas of the vault? To be be able to purchase vinyl that will be rare and never reproduced again? For TMR acknowledging the collecting aspect of the vinyl industry? What would be the point of having the Vault if it wasn't based on those principles?

I do realize that some people struggle to come up with cash to pay for Vault packages, but I find it a bit absurd by how desperate people get to scrounge up some funds to purchase it. Just wait and in time most recent packages can be pieced together at a price lower than the original. I can't see why someone just can't decide not to buy it. Save some money and get it when you are able to. Having that rare 7" now or months from now won't kill you. Maybe, by magic, you'll somehow learn to live without it. I haven't bought the past three Vault package simply because I didn't feel like it. Sure they're badass, but I don't think I'd feel any different if I did have them. I will admit however, if the next package has some Black Belles or DW on it, I will resubscribe asap. All that being said, my main point is if you can't fund the cost of collecting, don't do it. Like we all joke here, it's as expensive as a drug habit. Save yourself the stress of not getting what you can't afford and being around pricks like us. :D
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
Nicode70
Little Cream Soda

Post by Nicode70 »

Hi guys, here is a post i send on the vault 15 thread. thought it might also be nice here.

i went ahead and called TMR for my warped vault 15 lp. (extention 315 for the guy how deals with the vault). he was really nice and took the time to speack slowly for my understanding. he was driving back from sxsw yesterday so that's why i did not get and email back.

I shuffled through his emails and found mine. He didn't argue at all and will sent a replacement today, personnaly checked. very nice customer service.

We talked a little bit and here is the information i got:

GBMS is definitly in the pipes, but no timeframe at all
the next vault will be announced within 2 weeks
the Vault store will be louched within the next 4 month.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Nicode70 wrote:Hi guys, here is a post i send on the vault 15 thread. thought it might also be nice here.

i went ahead and called TMR for my warped vault 15 lp. (extention 315 for the guy how deals with the vault). he was really nice and took the time to speack slowly for my understanding. he was driving back from sxsw yesterday so that's why i did not get and email back.

I shuffled through his emails and found mine. He didn't argue at all and will sent a replacement today, personnaly checked. very nice customer service.

Although I think a lot of people knew the above info ;) thanks for the update and its good to hear from a direct source from TMR.

They are always really great with customer service I have found. Glad things were dealt with quickly :D
Nicode70
Little Cream Soda

Post by Nicode70 »

arewhyehen wrote:
Nicode70 wrote:Hi guys, here is a post i send on the vault 15 thread. thought it might also be nice here.

Although I think a lot of people knew the above info ;) thanks for the update and its good to hear from a direct source from TMR.

They are always really great with customer service I have found. Glad things were dealt with quickly :D

Yeah i know that it's not groundbreaking news... But i got it by myself! It's kind of hard to have intel from Europe ;)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Nicode70 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Yeah i know that it's not groundbreaking news... But i got it by myself! It's kind of hard to have intel from Europe ;)
Of course!! Like I said, good to hear it again from someone on the inside..
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:"It's not about preserving value or feeling special"-some correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one main ideas of the vault? To be be able to purchase vinyl that will be rare and never reproduced again? For TMR acknowledging the collecting aspect of the vinyl industry? What would be the point of having the Vault if it wasn't based on those principles?
Yeah, and they also said they didn't have anymore DWTDs, Absinthes, etc. and then came the Refresh-A-Thon... They also say they only press as many as there are vault members, but after the Racs@TMR pack, we all know that's BS, I have so many B&Bs of that LP I made a clock out of one... I think you'll see R-A-T kinda stuff happen with the vault store, extras of old vault packs getting sold, KE peach kinds of sales, some Tri exclusives, etc...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Post by Obliquitous »

TMR is closing early on Monday 3/25 at 1pm BUT is opening at regular hours the next day with no explanation why. Ancient Astronaut Theorists suggest that at this time the solar energies are at peek levels, causing aliens among us to violently and horrifically molt during the afternoon. Fearing that their secret existence will be exposed by this phenomenon, these aliens, posing as humans, will often go into hiding for the duration of the afternoon. Which goes without saying... Jack's an alien. What's he got hide under that hair all the time and why does he fear the sunlight? I thought 'vampire' but now with this new theoretical evidence, everything is clear. I'm on to you Jacky boy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364093184.414655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Or they could be doing inventory.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."