Tris and split colors, C'mon on this is ridiculous!

Your Turntable's Not Dead
jbdamned
Little Bird

Tris and split colors, C'mon on this is ridiculous!

Post by jbdamned »

LET US START SOMETHING HERE:

I propose we start something here as a collective. We can't have flippers making this insane amount of money on us! I stay we stop buying the TRIs and Black and Blues and even vault packages on sale on EBAY. We just buy from third man or our local record stores and this will drive prices DOWN, to accurately where they belong. WE SET THE PRICES. WE DECIDE WHAT IT'S WORTH.

They are not true collectibles if we don't make them so. It's just a piece of vinyl. Only we can decide their inherent value. I say a black and blue isn't worth $200.00 so, I will not make it so. But as long as people are buying them for $200.00 on Ebay, it stays. Flippers are making money off us, third man is making money off us for purchasing multiple copies- this needs to end!

I say we stop! And the value will come down! A lot of us are just modest music collectors. We actually could better spend money on other things but we choose to support the music, I understand. But people are laughing all the way to the bank based on our obsessive need to own these new (not even rare by historical standards yet) records. It's a game. Someone that has a business model is pulling the strings and we are playing right into it.

I say a blue and black record is worth $20.00, and a black record is worth $11.00. And I can think what I want. I am not just a lowly consumer and I don't own a record business. I do however have a lot of fucking power and you do too because WE can vote for what's right with OUR dollars. I am not crazy or drunk. I just want to put that out there. WE MAKE VALUE ON ALL THINGS. WE ARE THE REAL CONTROLLERS OF WHAT SELLS BY WHAT WE ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.
The White Stripes: 3/13/99, 9/10/99, 11/2/01, 3/30/02, 8/9/02, 7/1/03, 7/2/03.
The Dead Weather: 4/18/10.
Wanda Jackson with Jack White on Guitar: 1/23/11.
Jack White: 4/30/12, 8/11/12, 6/10/14, 9/15/14, 2/4/15.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Re: Tris and split colors, C'mon on this is ridiculous!

Post by orangeshoeskid »

$10 says it's not gonna happen.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
jbdamned
Little Bird

Post by jbdamned »

just 10 bucks? ;)
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

jbdamned wrote:just 10 bucks? ;)
Yeah, cause I have to save my money to buy TMR records on ebay.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Yawn

I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

I don't remember the last time I bought a TMR release using eBay.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I also propose those only allowed to go back in time, to anywhere in the world, be allowed to buy rare afro/latin/ethio/funk/soul/punk/psych/brazilian/garage/jazz records at their original prices! WE CAN DO THIS! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!*
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

dylnfan wrote:I don't remember the last time I bought a TMR release using eBay.
sez the guy who was basically just given the entire TMR fancy-pants records discography!

anywho - RE: the OP, man, why didn't i think of doing this with comic books, decades ago?! duh.
he is everything i hate...
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

elduderino wrote:sez the guy who was basically just given the entire TMR fancy-pants records discography!
Realized I would read something to that effect almost immediately after posting! LOL! Seriously though, even before being "just given the entire TMR fancy-pants records discography" I can't remember the last time I bought a TMR release via eBay. Too many good Swirlers willing to hook a brother up at a good price or trade! 8-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

dylnfan wrote:Too many good Swirlers willing to hook a brother up at a good price or trade! 8-)
God bless the Swirl.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

Question : if a certain relese came on colored, and only 300 (or so ) were black, would people seek out the black copies?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

hxcoliver wrote:Question : if a certain relese came on colored, and only 300 (or so ) were black, would people seek out the black copies?
Yes, I believe so. Rare is rare, colored or not.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
hxcoliver wrote:Question : if a certain relese came on colored, and only 300 (or so ) were black, would people seek out the black copies?
Yes, I believe so. Rare is rare, colored or not.
Not to mention the eternal consolation I repeat like a mantra every time I don't get a random mail order something; "black sounds better...black sounds better...black sounds better..."
Patient B1003
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

So, say everyone on this board followed your premise, what are you going to do about the thousands of OTHER people that don't come here to this board? How will you preach your message to them? How will you vanquish the evil eBay sellers and flippers around the world by merely sharing your gospel with the choir? How do you propose we get the records into the hands of "real" collectors at such a price? Your understanding of market value is spot on but your comprehension of human behavior needs a little tweaking.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
jbdamned
Little Bird

Post by jbdamned »

Yes, rare is rare! black or colored

But, will these TMR offerings stand the test of time?

Most of the bands on the label aren't beatle/dylan worthy and most real collectors look at these releases as "gimmick-y" so as far as collectability goes they will propabably deppreciate as time goes on. Just a guess. As it stands we can still set the price/value on these things. But, to know the value later on, I guess we will need that time machine someone mentioned a few posts back. There are those rare cases like this Os Mutantes album I own that is as much as the Nirvana Bleach record I own, one band is clearly the more sought after in terms of popularity, the other in terms of obscurity. Serious collectors know that it's generally supply and demand but there are exceptions to every rule.

I am not trying to be argumenative just posing questions and/or thoughts -- TMR is making "instant" collectibles and unforuntunatley you cannot decide collectibility without the time factor well because, time takes time. So, we will see. But IMO these things are not worth the going prices on ebay. And I doubt in 15 years they will even be worth half. This is the case where they sell for a lot now and people get their pound of flesh instantly (See K records and Sub pop for more examples) while the hype is on because everyone is into the company and Jack White. But, just you wait. Most times, it's the stuff that no one knew was going to be collectible that is :)