Conan at Third Man Records

Your Turntable's Not Dead
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Re: Conan at Third Man Records

Post by kevron6 »

Got some good video of Jack throwing water off the roof and Conan's entrance to TMR.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
Little Cream Soda
Little Bird

Post by Little Cream Soda »

Posted by Aaron Brown on facebook.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

anonymousbrunette wrote:That parking lot is HOT and boy is it humid there this week. That black wall is brutal. We picked up water and a bag of ice for people in line on Monday.
Amen sister! That water and ice saved my ass...not to mention the sunscreen I almost passed on!
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Its been too long since a post. What has been going on at TMR?
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
EdwardMartin
Little Bird

Post by EdwardMartin »

I think they have probably started... maybe?
missterpickles
Little Cream Soda

Post by missterpickles »

To anyone that is there and got in, please write a detailed review of what happened. Dying to know.
Little Cream Soda
Little Bird

Post by Little Cream Soda »

harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

jack played 7NA w/ conan ~ sweet.

the Ts are too cute... lol ~
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
missterpickles
Little Cream Soda

Post by missterpickles »

For real Jack played?
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

It was the right thing to do really...
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

From Littleroom:
Quotes from that^^account:

Jack White just took the stage for a duet of "Twenty Flight Rock!"

Singing Radiohead as a Chimney Sweep! "Fake Plastic Trees!" Jack just put a top hat on Conan

Reggie Watts, comedian who opens for Conan during the tour posted

"It's a strange feeling to be standing behind Jack White while Conan and his band are on stage rocking 7 Nation Army. Meta Meta."

This needs to show up on video.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

Show was awesome Conan and his band were really good and his comments between songs made for some good comedy. Jack did get up and play the duet as already reported. Really good show, but really exhausted after a 9 hour wait in line baking in the sun. All the people that did not get in were able to buy a split color right after the show. I got out of the show quickly in hopes if getting in the shop quickly to buy my split color and get home, but there was a line of about 100 people. I think TMR handled this very well with letting the folks who missed the show but stood in line buy the vinyl. They sold out of t-shirts in my second trip on the store. For a short while people were able to buy posters and have Conan sign them. I was too far back in line and they said Conan got sick and was not signing anymore posters. I would imagine he was overheated because he was really sweating on the stage and it was hot. All in all another great event put on by TMR.

One word of advice to anyone who goes into a show. When they say no pictures or video they mean it. Tons of people were snapping pictures inside with cell phones and cameras. I saw a few people kicked out over it. They do not mess around on this policy and people really should respect their request when you are going to a show.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Wow, what an adventure. I got down there about 4:30. I was too far back, did not get in.
But you got to love how TMR and Ben Swank roll. Ben walked by a few times and said that we were in a "grey" area, as far as getting in. But he said stick around if you want and Coco might do a quick meet and greet, no guarantees.
You've got to really decifer what Ben says. So I go into the store without having to wait long and buy a poster,button, and order the record.
That's cool that they let us do that since we didn't get in. So after I bought my stuff I wondered up towards the back door of the concert hall to see if I could hear anything. About that time Ben says for all of us that couldn't get in to run towards the front.
I head that way and peek under the doors and there's Conan signing stuff. Then me and Pug (a guy I met at the Vault Party) .........I'm like Pug.........It's time for us to make our move. So off we went elbows and assholes towards the front door.
The beautiful young lady that was working for TMR shouts......If you have merchandise to be signed in hand come with me, NOW...........SO a second later I'm standing in front of Conan.
I thank him for giving us fans that didn't get in the opportunity to meet him and that I looked forward to hearing the show on my new record. (I don't know what ya'll did to Conan in there but he looked Fraziled).
So anyway, Right before the show started .....We the fans that couldn't get in are standing in the alley way and Jack and Lil Jack come out the back door and go around into the front door...............I yelled good evening to them both and off they went with some younger man chaseing them for an autograph!!..........This to was really cool, Jack didn't have to walk out the back door and go in the front door...........he did it for the fans that didn't get in.............So ..............I love me some TMR and Ben Swank and I love the way they do business. I also got to buy a few more records that I didn't have already, there's some good stuff in there.............you gotta look hard.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Here is my recap I just wrote up on Facebook. Sorry it's so long, it was an awesome night.

Ok, so I figured I'd just write some long note about it all and then post pictures of everything at the end. Sorry my phone died to all that I was keeping updated. Waiting in line for 8 hours is kinda boring, so using my phone for pictures and whatnot drained the battery fast.

Here's the story...
I got there by myself in line at 12:20 or so, waited and waited and waited. It was unbearably hot and humid. Apparently the weather called for clouds and some thunderstorms...neither showed up. It was just very hot and miserable. When I got there I was maybe in the first 60 people or so in line and it was growing fast. I had brought an extra chair for Leslie when she came. Kevin was in line and talked to him some, apparently the line was mostly all Conan fans and hardly any regulars. Oh, and then I went inside and bought a Conan/TMR tshirt cause no matter how much they cost, there was no way I wasn't getting one, they were too cool.
Front of Conan/TMR shirt
Back of Conan/TMR shirt

After sitting around for a while we saw Jack and Alison drive around and pull into the building, and then Jo and LJ. Sat around with Leslie for a while and the line started getting really really long. All of a sudden someone yelled "Who want's water!" and we looked around and didn't see anyone, then looked up and Jack, Swank and a camera guy were all on the roof. Jack was throwing waters down to people below, most were caught, some exploded on the ground. I managed to catch one while taking a picture with my phone :)
Jack and Swank on the roof throwing waters down to people.

Later Conan's buses pulled up and everyone went nuts and crowded the fence waiting for him to come out. After a while he finally popped out, waved some (I got a picture as well) and went inside. More waiting....line got longer...it got hotter and the sun got brighter. I ended up applying sunscreen 3 times today, it was miserable, even with an umbrella.
Conan walking into TMR

Not much happened for a while, just more sitting. Meg finally came (had been at work) and slyly joined us and brought me half a subway sandwich, much appreciated and delicious. Sat around some more... heard about the line being down the side of third man, snaking around up against the mercedes auto repair, down the side walk, and all the way back to 8th street, and then even down 8th street. Probably around 600 people I think I heard a bunch say. Maybe more... Swank would go down to the end and tell the people that there wasn't much chance of them getting in cause they were so far back, but no one left.

Josh finally came after work and joined us just as the guest list people got there. About 8:20 we were all let in and wow was it packed. It smelled horrible cause everyone inside had been sweating outside in the heat for the last 6-8 hours and it was kinda miserable at first. Obviously no cameras or anything were allowed cause they were filming and whatnot I believe.

LJ came out and introduced Jack White, who then introduced his "giant" friend, Conan. That's when the whole band and conan came out and things went nuts. They started out with Blue Moon Over Kentucky and it was amazing. Not really sure all he played, I know some Elvis and Chuck Berry. He played one Radiohead song buy said he could only sing like Thom Yorke if he talked like an old chimney sweep, it was awesome and got everyone laughing and he kinda poked fun at some different British terms. In the middle of the song Jack ran out on stage and gave Conan one of his top hats to wear to make him more authentically chimney sweepish. They also did an instrumental version of Seven Nation Army which got everyone clapping, I thought it would have been awesome for Jack to jump out and do a solo in the middle of it, but soon after Conan invited out his special guest, Jack White! Jack joined everyone on stage with what seemed to be a new guitar. Played/sang an awesome song with an amazing solo. Unfortunately, but also fortunately for everyone else probably, people weren't all that caring about "no photography" signs and whipped out cameras and were using flash and taking video of songs. Kinda disappointed in those fans..

Throughout the set Conan would chat with the crowd some, crack some jokes and do some crazy dancing. On lady passed something forward to him during an "intermission" (to change reels) and had him sign it on stage, kinda lame in my book, don't bother him while he's doing his thing, wait till afterward if you want it so bad.

Not much else, he finished up the set, people cheered for an encore and Blackwell came out and thanked everyone for coming out and to stop by the shop on their way out. We then quickly made our way up front to reduce the waiting time for the black and blue but there was already an insane line. While waiting I made a run to go get giant 52oz slushies for us and came back to find out that Conan had been signing stuff for some people that didn't make it in to the show and waited around to try and get a glimpse of him. That only lasted for a few minutes I believe, I heard he was feeling really sick and whatnot from heat stroke. (It was really that hot in there, the only other show I've been hotter at was TWS in Birmingham, that was miserable and a girl even fainted before the show even started it was so bad).

So with the signings over some of the line left and we waited, got in and bought the poster and black and blue. Oh, and I had gone and got buttons earlier, and upon leaving the show they handed out little silk screened "I saw Conan" tickets which was awesome of them to do. After we paid we went outside to wait for Leslie and Josh and some of the band started filing out onto the tour bus. Everyone would start clapping and cheering and congratulate them, the band members agreed that they all had an amazing time and the most fun so far. La Bamba was there too, being awesome like always. Once Leslie and Josh came out Conan popped out and was heading to his bus. Everyone hounded him for handshakes, photos and signatures, it was like a riot. We rushed down to the end of the line hoping to meet him just for a second, we got our posters signed and I patted Conan on the back as he left for his bus. You could see how tired and worn out he was, I kinda felt bad that everyone was swarming around him so much and not letting him even get to his bus.
Conan/TMR buttons
(on the edge it reads "Conan O'Brien at Third Man Records June 10th 2010"
I Saw Coco ticket handed out after the show
Conan TMR Poster
Conan's signature

Soooo that's about it. I will say that I hated the fact that it was so popular and the normal TMR fans didn't show up, and that it was nearly all Conan fans. Nothing against them, they were great. But they didn't know of TMR beforehand and didn't realize it's not a normal venue. This isn't a place you trash like every other venue in town. Waiting in line ahead of us there was a group of maybe 10+ people that had been waiting around all day drinking non stop. They probably made at least 5 trips to the liquor store coming back with bags and cases each time. By the time we were about to go in they were screaming and yelling and just being annoying. It was obvious the people around them didn't appreciate it either. Plus once we lined up, they left most of their trash (empty beer bottles, bags of food, all sorts of trash) all in the alley. Some had picked stuff up and thrown it away, but the alley was a disaster. Even after the show, the blue room floor was littered in empty beer bottles! Not cool at all, it's a nice venue and they use that room for more than just shows, they even have nice oriental rugs all over the place and people are just throwing trash and bottles all over the floor. It was very disappointing. The parking lot was like that too, trash thrown everywhere, empty bottles thrown everywhere, it was a mess. I felt horrible for whoever had to clean that up afterward.

Overall it was an amazing night, wellllll worth waiting in line in the heat and humidity for 8 hours.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Hey, orangeshoes. I liked your write up. Thanks for putting in the time to share.

On the other hand, It's people like you that got there early, then let other people come all day and join you in line..............You and the others doing the same.............. is the reason that people like me.............. not all that far back............ didn't get in.

Glad you got your collectibles.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody