TMR's 7th anniversary, Icarus, and the first record in space

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

TMR's 7th anniversary, Icarus, and the first record in space

Post by Kali Durga »

This is being talked about in the Carl Sagan thread, but doesn't it really deserve its own? https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third- ... niversary/
On July 30th, in celebration of our 7th anniversary, Third Man Records will reveal our attempt to play the first phonographic record in space — a gold-plated 12” master of Carl Sagan’s “A Glorious Dawn” (a moving arrangement of Sagan’s sagacious words culled from his magnificent Cosmos series, previously pressed and distributed as a 7” in their first year of operation, 2009). This record marks our 3 MILLIONTH RECORD PRESSED! The vessel tasked with the mission —The ICARUS CRAFT — is a custom-built “space-proof” turntable attached to a high-altitude balloon designed by Kevin Carrico, who has NASA in his blood, and is responsible for assisting in the restoration of many of Third Man’s machines (Third Man Recording Booth) to working order. Kevin and the Third Man team are aided in their endeavor by SATINS (Students and Teachers in Near Space).

To celebrate the occasion, Third Man Records will be hosting (literal) launch parties at both its Cass Corridor and Nashville locations, where the viewing of the mission, as well as live bands, exclusive, commemorative merchandise, and limited edition, 12” gold vinyl copies of the 3 millionth pressing, “A Glorious Dawn” will be available for purchase, as well as a few other limited, exclusive LP offerings. In Detroit, the ICARUS CRAFT will be on exhibit with its creator Kevin Carrico answering questions, and in Nashville, the gold-plated record will be displayed. Visitors can take Third Man Impossible Project instant-photos with the ICARUS CRAFT, Gold-plated record, or with designer Kevin Carrico, if you ask him nicely.

Both parties will feature live music and DJ’s (to be announced this week) and will begin at 11am EST/ 10am CST with a takeoff time of exactly 12pm EST / 11am CST.

The pre-recorded launch will be shown at both locations AND streamed online (details to follow) however, exclusive records and merchandise will only be available at Third Man’s physical locations. To avoid waiting in line and be a part of the party at Third Man Cass Corridor and in Nashville’s Blue Room, Third Man Records will offer a limited number of the STELLAR TICKET, which grants access to entertainment and guarantees a bag set aside with your name on it containing each exclusive merch item and a copy of the record. STELLAR TICKETS are not yet for sale, and further details will be announced mid-week.

Those who opt not to purchase a STELLAR TICKET will still be able to purchase the record and merchandise in each respective storefront (the Carl Sagan Record will not be available until after the screening), but will not be guaranteed accommodation to watch the launch on-site or admission into the launch party.

Also in celebration of Third Man’s 7th anniversary, customers both in-store and online will receive 30% off their entire purchase!!! (Bundles and exclusive items do not apply.) The discount will be taken at checkout.

Third Man Records is over-the-moon with excitement to pursue and share with you the ICARUS CRAFT’s mission to spin a record further from Earth than a record has ever been spun...Plan to join us and witness history in the making! You got something better to do?
Seven years. Man, how time flies. It's downright astounding to see how TMR has grown, expanded, and then expanded again in a second location. And we know there's still much more to come, first with the opening of the pressing plant sometime this year and then who knows what after that. This really is a fitting way to celebrate. Who's going to the parties?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Re: TMR's 7th anniversary, Icarus, and the first record in s

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Yowza. Amazing.

Sure would like to get my hands on a pair of Stellar tickets for Detroit.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Tickets or no, mebbe I'll see you there. I want to see that Icarus craft.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
ColdNorth
Little Bird

Post by ColdNorth »

I would like to go.
But alas, I'm in Europe.
So it's not possible for me :cry:
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Things people do when they've done everything possible on this planet....

How about some record playing down in the Mariana trench?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

love_islander wrote:How about some record playing down in the Mariana trench?
Jack doesn't like water.

I'm so curious about how this thing is going to work, need to read up on high altitude balloons. How big is the balloon? How does it launch? Is the tonearm remote controlled or set on a timer or what? How does it land?
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

It's a beast of a drive (Detroit is 9 hours door-to-door, Nashville 11) so unfortunately my participation is ticket dependent. Hoping they drop today.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

anonymousbrunette wrote:It's a beast of a drive (Detroit is 9 hours door-to-door, Nashville 11) so unfortunately my participation is ticket dependent. Hoping they drop today.
Yeah, I've done the Detroit drive twice, I actually enjoyed it. Flying this time, though, for the sake of expediency and since I'll be driving it in September. But driving or flying, the sooner the ticket chaos is over, the better.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Someone should pm the Releases group when tickets go on sale. :thumbup:
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

runofthemill wrote:Someone should pm the Releases group when tickets go on sale. :thumbup:
what's a releases group? like some super-duper secret jack white masons society? bunch of tossers.
he is everything i hate...
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

elduderino wrote:
runofthemill wrote:Someone should pm the Releases group when tickets go on sale. :thumbup:
what's a releases group? like some super-duper secret jack white masons society? bunch of tossers.
Yes
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

so, does the stellar ticket get you ALL the swag? or do you still have to buy record separately?
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

elduderino wrote:so, does the stellar ticket get you ALL the swag? or do you still have to buy record separately?
Each $75 Stellar Ticket gets you:
- Each exclusive merch item: Poster ($25), Button ($2), Sticker ($2), Postcard ($2)
- Exclusive gold vinyl "A Glorious Dawn" ($30) without waiting in line
- Icarus lapel pin ($7)— available ONLY to Stellar Ticket holders
- No lines & air conditioning all day
- NASHVILLE — Admission to the launch party in the Blue Room (10am) featuring DJ Space Is The Place
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

curseofhalos wrote:
elduderino wrote:so, does the stellar ticket get you ALL the swag? or do you still have to buy record separately?
Each $75 Stellar Ticket gets you:
- Each exclusive merch item: Poster ($25), Button ($2), Sticker ($2), Postcard ($2)
- Exclusive gold vinyl "A Glorious Dawn" ($30) without waiting in line
- Icarus lapel pin ($7)— available ONLY to Stellar Ticket holders
- No lines & air conditioning all day
- NASHVILLE — Admission to the launch party in the Blue Room (10am) featuring DJ Space Is The Place
yes, i can read. but do you see how the record (and lapel pin) lines are worded? a glorious dawn ($30) WITHOUT WAITING IN LINE. is that the hook? you can pay for the record with purchase of stellar ticket but not have to wait in line? and is lapel pin ONLY available for purchase to stellar ticket holders?

it's tricky...