Articles/Interviews on Third Man Records

Your Turntable's Not Dead
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Articles/Interviews on Third Man Records

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Nice NPR piece on the Cass Corridor shop.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... to-detroit
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Articles/Interviews on Third Man Records

Post by Kali Durga »

Saw that the other day, it's an excellent interview with a good impartial source. I especially like this part--

"And you realize that this guy is using his platform to turn people on to all kinds of cool stuff. It's one thing to have your own label after being on both majors and indies, and sell direct, but to follow this model that is pretty much exclusive to other forms of retail with records is not something that's been done otherwise. It's f****** weird, but it works. "

The last question, though... Obviously for folks who don't know anything already about Jack and the history of Third Man Records. There's nowhere else he could have put a second location.

And that story about Timmy Vulgar eating a tree is both repulsive and amazing.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

TMR Cass Corridor just tweeted a link to this feature on Live in the D: "A look at how vinyl is coming back", filmed in the shop-- http://www.clickondetroit.com/live-in-t ... oming-back
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Kali Durga wrote:TMR Cass Corridor just tweeted a link to this feature on Live in the D: "A look at how vinyl is coming back", filmed in the shop-- http://www.clickondetroit.com/live-in-t ... oming-back
Love me a good shop video.
It's been sitting in my tabs for the last hour.
I'll get around to it.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

It's kinda sad in some ways. I've been buying new records for years and it still amazes me to hear someone say "they're still making records?" Yes, they still make new records. They never stopped. Even with RSD, more record stores, and lots of coverage some folks just aren't in the loop at all.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Oh man, this article about Cass Corridor. Just... oh man. Makes me SO excited to be a fan of Jack and TMR, and I don't care what sort of fan-girl nerd that makes me sound like-- http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/how-t ... id=2416927
While most reporters discussed the fact that Third Man is opening a record plant, they failed to grasp the true import of this. By the time that record plant is operating this summer, White will have taken control of the means of production for his preferred method of releasing music, and in the process become perhaps the most self-sufficient label head/artist in history. And this is all happening at the same moment when his label has gone from an interesting curio for fans of folksy blues-garage music (and its constituent parts) to one of the most important labels for new and archival music on the planet.
Lots of detail about the pressing plant, too.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:Oh man, this article about Cass Corridor. Just... oh man. Makes me SO excited to be a fan of Jack and TMR, and I don't care what sort of fan-girl nerd that makes me sound like-- http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/how-t ... id=2416927
While most reporters discussed the fact that Third Man is opening a record plant, they failed to grasp the true import of this. By the time that record plant is operating this summer, White will have taken control of the means of production for his preferred method of releasing music, and in the process become perhaps the most self-sufficient label head/artist in history. And this is all happening at the same moment when his label has gone from an interesting curio for fans of folksy blues-garage music (and its constituent parts) to one of the most important labels for new and archival music on the planet.
Lots of detail about the pressing plant, too.
What an incredible article. Makes me even more excited to be a fan. Third Man sure has a way of keeping things interesting. Cool.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Wouldn't it be damned cool to not just go back in time, but to go back in time and somehow peek inside of young Jack's brain in the Gold Dollar days and see if he had even the seed of an inkling of what he'd accomplish within 20 years? And that idea, of course, makes me giddy over the possibilities of what he might do within the coming 20 years.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Kali Durga wrote:Wouldn't it be damned cool to not just go back in time, but to go back in time and somehow peek inside of young Jack's brain in the Gold Dollar days and see if he had even the seed of an inkling of what he'd accomplish within 20 years? And that idea, of course, makes me giddy over the possibilities of what he might do within the coming 20 years.
Eh.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Eh.
So, what excites you? Anything?
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Cynicism.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Cynicism has lost much of its cachet for me in recent years. It's just not as fun as it used to be.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

There's no doubt that Blackwell can see into the future !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Dunno how this slipped by all of us, it's pretty fantastic news-- http://www.jambands.com/news/2016/04/01 ... nea-tapes/
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Would have been better suited as a vault release.