Quintessential Third Man Records Release?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Re: Quintessential Third Man Records Release?

Post by dylnfan »

JonnyH wrote:Cosmos too. That's a real special record.
#Boom
tumblr_lvhs24leaS1qf2ic8o1_500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Good point, if there is one record that could possibly be considered the quintessential Third Man release, that one might very well be it. In one fell swoop, it encompasses their genre-lessness, their love of beauty, and their sense of wonder about science and technology. It really does say a lot about them.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
edwardcarlton
Little Bird

Post by edwardcarlton »

They cosmos 45 is special and vary difficult to find (very TMRish) but for me the Ultra LP says a lot about what Third Man is about. Tons of unique and different technologies all put into one record is nothing short of amazing. There is likely never to be a similar record released any time soon. The 'splatter' vinyl pattern used in the cosmos record has already been done a thousand times over from a ton of different labels (boring). Even though the glow-in-the-dark feature a perfect application for this record it sounds terrible. I just think the Ultra LP is TMR at its best and it's showing off everything TMR can do with a vinyl record.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

edwardcarlton wrote:They cosmos 45 is special and vary difficult to find (very TMRish) but...The 'splatter' vinyl pattern used in the cosmos record has already been done a thousand times over from a ton of different labels (boring). .
When I mentioned Cosmos above and wrote that its a special record, I didn't actually mean the variant. I meant the version you can go buy at a record store right now.
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

My favourite discovery through TMR is Pokey Lafarge. Awesome live, wish they'd go back to a 4 piece though.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

destijl wrote:...wish they'd go back to a 4 piece though.
That's my favorite version of Pokey, too. Bugs me the way the South City Three are marginalized now, they added so much to his music.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Antitoxic
Little Bird

Post by Antitoxic »

I never would have guessed that Cosmos would be so beloved.
edwardcarlton wrote:They cosmos 45 is special and vary difficult to find (very TMRish) but for me the Ultra LP says a lot about what Third Man is about. Tons of unique and different technologies all put into one record is nothing short of amazing. There is likely never to be a similar record released any time soon. The 'splatter' vinyl pattern used in the cosmos record has already been done a thousand times over from a ton of different labels (boring). Even though the glow-in-the-dark feature a perfect application for this record it sounds terrible. I just think the Ultra LP is TMR at its best and it's showing off everything TMR can do with a vinyl record.
I like this answer, I wouldn't have really thought of it this way. I remembering reading online with some people thinking that the Ultra LP made Lazaretto unplayable and that it made it dumb, but I loved it. I thought it was genius and executed extremely well.

Also, not very familiar with Pokey's stuff like you guys were saying... I'll have to give his stuff a listen!
Last edited by Antitoxic on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:If you're looking to get a feel for their diversity and hear some stuff you might not otherwise delve into, I'd suggest trying to pick up one or more of the Vault singles comps. Granted, they're not recent stuff, but still a very cool representation of what's "quintessential" about TMR. I may be one of the few people who misses those comps.
I miss the comps !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody