TMR's Devil's Night 2015

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: TMR's Devil's Night 2015

Post by Kali Durga »

Pretty much spot-on review of Devil's Night 2015-- https://lntv.com/en_us/article/third-ma ... ight-party
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:Pretty much spot-on review of Devil's Night 2015-- https://lntv.com/en_us/article/third-ma ... ight-party
A lot of these Wolf Eyes articles mention bands clearing a room as if it's a challenge. It's easy to clear a room as a musician. Just get up there and really, really stink up the joint. It's ridiculously easy to play badly. haha

Although I wouldn't have minded hanging with a lot of you, I'm not sorry I missed this at all.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Pretty much spot-on review of Devil's Night 2015-- https://lntv.com/en_us/article/third-ma ... ight-party
A lot of these Wolf Eyes articles mention bands clearing a room as if it's a challenge. It's easy to clear a room as a musician. Just get up there and really, really stink up the joint. It's ridiculously easy to play badly. haha

Although I wouldn't have minded hanging with a lot of you, I'm not sorry I missed this at all.
Enjoying clearing a room is more a "fuck you" to anyone in the audience who might not enjoy dissonant music rather than an attempt to play poorly. People who make dissonant jazz, noise, or etc definitely put more into it than that.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I'm just over it, man. I can't pretend to even WANT to get it anymore. I won't even get into how insulting it must be for jazz musicians to be compared to simple noise. Just saying any jerk can clear a room.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Noise music is anything but simple, which is why it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Same applies to a lot of modern jazz. I don't see why that would be an insulting comparison, it makes perfect sense to me.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I'm just over it, man. I can't pretend to even WANT to get it anymore. I won't even get into how insulting it must be for jazz musicians to be compared to simple noise. Just saying any jerk can clear a room.
Sounds like you're writing something off due to a lack of understanding. It's not about getting it or not, but some people simply enjoy this kind of music. It's not "getting something" that others don't, it's a genuine enjoyment of the music... and if it's insulting to compare the more dissonant noisy jazz like Ornette Coleman to modern electronic noise then i'm a real rude person. "Simple noise"...? So what, are you "above it"?
Last edited by dcmak5 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Aquamarine wrote:Noise music is anything but simple, which is why it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Same applies to a lot of modern jazz. I don't see why that would be an insulting comparison, it makes perfect sense to me.
We disagree is all. You can't really rehearse the kind of noise Wolf Eyes make, you just get on stage and do whatever you want as long as it sounds bad. It really is simple, guys. I'm not trying to push any buttons here, just trying to lift the veil a bit. We can say it's art (and somewhat disagree again) but we can't compare it to trained musicians with an understanding of dissonance applying that knowledge to their sessions. It ridiculously cheapens one and unrealistically lifts the other.

These are only my opinions.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

dcmak5 wrote: "Simple noise"...? So what, are you "above it"?
No. I just see the strings.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Noise music is anything but simple, which is why it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Same applies to a lot of modern jazz. I don't see why that would be an insulting comparison, it makes perfect sense to me.
We disagree is all. You can't really rehearse the kind of noise Wolf Eyes make, you just get on stage and do whatever you want as long as it sounds bad. It really is simple, guys. I'm not trying to push any buttons here, just trying to lift the veil a bit. We can say it's art (and somewhat disagree again) but we can't compare it to trained musicians with an understanding of dissonance applying that knowledge to their sessions. It ridiculously cheapens one and unrealistically lifts the other.

These are only my opinions.
Then how do they manage to play songs from their albums...? That's sooooo far from what they and other noise artists do. Just because you can't enjoy the music doesn't mean that the artists get up on stage and do whatever as long as it sounds bad.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I apologize if it makes you angry that I don't get it. That's not my intention. But you gotta admit that'd be kinda meta if it was, right? :D
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

I'm not angry, it's just not as simple as that generalization
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

dcmak5 wrote:I'm not angry, it's just not as simple as that generalization
We disagree. And we'll just have to live with that.

dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

It just sounds like you're reacting with hostility out of a lack of understanding. Nobody has to understand it or enjoy it, but to negatively generalize it as simple or lesser with no real understanding of it is goofy
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

dcmak5 wrote:It just sounds like you're reacting with hostility out of a lack of understanding.
I know a lot of people who say a rotting corpse smells delicious and anyone who disagrees is a square. They like how that feels. That's all I'm saying.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Noise music asks basic questions about what constitutes music and how we produce/react to it. People aren't necessarily going to be interested in either the questions or the answers, but it's a valid and worthwhile approach, IMO. Something to be taken seriously, anyway (as Philip Glass is).