New Detroit Branch

Your Turntable's Not Dead
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: New Detroit Branch

Post by rsimms3 »

Your videos aren't showing, edit to remove "http://youtu.be/" and just have the letters/numbers after that point between the tags.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

rsimms3 wrote:Your videos aren't showing, edit to remove "http://youtu.be/" and just have the letters/numbers after that point between the tags.
Do they work now?
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

IamFrank007 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Your videos aren't showing, edit to remove "http://youtu.be/" and just have the letters/numbers after that point between the tags.
Do they work now?
They work. I'm digging all this coverage. I'd actually forgotten how fun it can be reading about these events here on Swirl. Cool photos, videos and stories. I love it.
nestacat
Little Bird

Post by nestacat »

Kali Durga wrote: The t-shirts are great, IMHO. I picked up the baseball T with the III symbol against the Detroit skyline, a black T with the TMR three men symbol "spray-painted" in ghostly white (those are the two I have to exchange this morning because they're really big), and a black hoodie with a diagram of the solar system, which is my favorite that I should probably buy another of because I can imagine I'll wear it out.

When I first got there, they did not have the pamphlet about the chair out, but there were a bunch there later when I walked back to the bathroom before leaving. That little pamphlet is as beautiful as the chair itself, considering the text and the intricate folding pattern. And the pictures taken in process don't do the piece of furniture justice, it really turned out superbly. Will be very interesting to see how it wears through the years there. Oh, and the elephant lamp on the table next to it is adorable.

The other thing I kept wondering is just how loud it's going to be in the back hallway when they've got record presses running 24 hours a day on the other side of that big window.
Thanks...oh good, I assume then that they will have them available for people all the time....it is one of the cooler things I think, and one of the things I'd like to have the most, really. I wondered about the noise, also. Do you think the glass is some industrial no-hear-through glass (assuming such a thing exists)? They must have thought that through.

Yea, I really liked the Detroit III shirt I saw. I was more commenting on the two in those pics, as the one with their faces seems a bit off to me and then I just kind of don't get the dancing couple one, iconographically. I don't know...I need to see them in person.
nosce te ipsum
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Thought I'd post this here as well in case anyone is interested. The album is public so should be viewable. The photo uploader here is tedious and there was a lot to share.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... bd245f19e6

Looks as though I missed several things in the shop so I'm grateful for the posts. It was easy to overlook things since Friday was a wonderful mob scene. Spent Saturday exploring Detroit and I wouldn't have traded that for anything.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ I did the same after my visit yesterday. Did you make it to the DIA, Ara? Holy heck, that place blew my mind, had no idea it would be so spectacular. As is the Fisher Building (and the Guardian Building, which I saw last summer).

We're going to need to start a thread of things to do/places to eat & stay for Detroit just like for Nashville.

IamFrank007 wrote:Timmy..
Timmy!! He and The Gories are the things I missed most about not being there Friday. Otherwise, Sunday was a great day to visit. And this morning was fairly empty, only about a dozen people there around 10:30am. Shame I couldn't have stuck around longer (yay for Pennsylvania Turnpike wi-fi).
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

thanks for all the photos/videos/info! 'Bout time you mods did something around here..... ;)
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

love_islander wrote:thanks for all the photos/videos/info! 'Bout time you mods did something around here..... ;)
Next time, do it yourself you lazy bum.... :lol:
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

rsimms3 wrote:
love_islander wrote:thanks for all the photos/videos/info! 'Bout time you mods did something around here..... ;)
As soon as TMR opens a new locaiton with 1000km/miles of where I live, I'll be sure too!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

love_islander wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
As soon as TMR opens a new locaiton with 1000km/miles of where I live, I'll be sure too!
Maybe the answer is to move to 'Merica.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I gotta lotta photos. The full album is here-- https://www.flickr.com/gp/28108918@N02/Ckwg15 A few highlights--

-- Don't know why I didn't grab one of those cups, darnit...

-- Men's room

-- Ladies room

Edit: Let me know if the link above doesn't work. I set the photos to private, but supposedly the album can be seen through that link.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

GREAT photos, Kali!
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Kali Durga wrote:I gotta lotta photos. The full album is here-- https://www.flickr.com/gp/28108918@N02/Ckwg15 A few highlights--

Really interested in knowing what the Jukebox picture says. Do you have a higher resolution copy of the photo you can share?
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Cropped it out of the original and enlarged it a bit. Made it a bit fuzzy, but legible--

Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

I love how it basically is a small museum too.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”