New Detroit Branch

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: New Detroit Branch

Post by Kali Durga »

Datch wrote:I love how it basically is a small museum too.
Definitely agree, that's exactly what makes it so special.

One thing that really sets Detroit apart from Nashville, though-- Someone I was looking at pre-opening party photos with on Friday noticed that there's no taxidermy at Cass.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ I did the same after my visit yesterday. Did you make it to the DIA, Ara? Holy heck, that place blew my mind, had no idea it would be so spectacular.
I didn't, and it was recommended by two people too. But I needed to be outside, and ambling around Corktown, Yorba, Cass Corridor, and stopping when and where I pleased was the best use of my day. I'll definitely be back for the pressing plant and the DIA, Eastern Market and FLW house are not to be missed. Your photos were excellent. Much better lighting on Saturday and significantly fewer bodies.
Kali Durga wrote: We're going to need to start a thread of things to do/places to eat & stay for Detroit just like for Nashville.
Absolutely. I thought last week this would be a handy thing but I was ambivalent about the trip until just before Thanksgiving dinner. I love surprises. Sometimes I surprise myself. You snagging that baseball card, now that was a nice surprise. I don't have the time today to start a thread. haha. Go for it.

And this in honor of last year's test press Secret Santa.
Station No. 10.jpg
New year, new tags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Great shot. That's one of the things I definitely want to do on a future Detroit trip-- Go on a photo safari. Though just like in Baltimore, I always have mixed feelings about doing that in certain neighborhoods. There are so many things like the photo above that are absolutely fascinating and beautiful in their way, but I don't want to wander around being a tourist with a camera in a place where people actually live with that stuff everyday. As a friend once said to me, it's not the zoo.

If no one else dives in and starts a To Do in Detroit thread, I'll try to set one up later. Got a lot of stuff to put in it already, but also a ton of stuff to catch up on at work.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Kali Durga wrote:Cropped it out of the original and enlarged it a bit. Made it a bit fuzzy, but legible--

Darn, was hoping we might get some background on that particular jukebox...looks awful familiar. 8-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Just a little question: How much does that hoodie with the planetary system on it cost?
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Datch wrote:Just a little question: How much does that hoodie with the planetary system on it cost?
$40, if I remember correctly.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Kali Durga wrote:
Datch wrote:Just a little question: How much does that hoodie with the planetary system on it cost?
$40, if I remember correctly.
Thank you :)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

What you really want is an RRS Hawaiian shirt. I should've gotten a photo of those.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:What you really want is an RRS Hawaiian shirt. I should've gotten a photo of those.
That's debatable. I would debate against.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

First person to get one needs to post a photo of themself wearing it.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Now I wish there was a picture of that shirt haha
Is it in style of black and yellow?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Not a great shot, but you can see it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Great photos !
I can't wait to go visit TMR in Detroit and I much look forward to the to do lists for the Detroit area !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Mini vacation !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Started a To Do in Detroit list over in Jumble Jumble-- http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=11870 Looking forward to what everyone else has to add to it.