Carl Sagan

Your Turntable's Not Dead
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Carl Sagan

Post by littleacorn »

taken from thirdmanrecords.com
Third Man Records is over the moon to announce the 7-inch release of “A Glorious Dawn” on November 9th.

“A Glorious Dawn” is a moving arrangement of Carl Sagan’s sagacious words culled from his magnificent “Cosmos” series. The piece initially gained recognition when composer John Boswell uploaded to YouTube his remixed Sagan dialogue edited, Auto-Tuned and put to a beat and coupled with a guest appearance by Stephen Hawking. At well over one million views, this is a project that goes far-beyond the buzz of “Internet phenomenon.”

To hear “A Glorious Dawn” and view the accompanying video, Click here

The release is timed to coincide with the 75th anniversary of Sagan’s birth. Also happening that day is a reception in United States’ Congress with speeches by senators, NASA officials and assorted scientists, all hosted by the Planetary Society, which was co-founded by Sagan.

Third Man Records, in conjunction with United Record Pressing, fabricated a special “Cosmos Colored Vinyl” of which 150 copies will be available…50 randomly inserted into mail orders for “A Glorious Dawn” and the remainder to be made available at the Third Man Records Nashville store front at noon on November 9th.

The one-sided single features a very special etching on the flipside. Reproduced from the original artwork, the etching copies the etching included with the Voyager Golden Record, set off into space in 1977 as the most elaborate message-in-a-bottle idea ever imagined. With its inclusion of Blind Willie Johnson’s “Dark Was The Night” it goes without saying that the Voyager Golden Record is one of Third Man’s favorite releases of all-time. Read more here
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Re: Carl Sagan

Post by 7th_son »

This idea is awesome. I couldn't get that tune out of my head last week.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

the cosmo vinyl has got me excited just when everybody was complaing that they couldnt get glow vinyl jack gives everyone a chance to get something else.
Did anybody else preorder this?
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
seventhson
Little Bird

Post by seventhson »

I did. There must be quite a few 7"s on the horizon. This is TMR 20 so we are missing a few catalogue numbers.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

you have to figure in vault releases too
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

"We are trying to survive our time so we may live into yours. We hope some day, having solved the problems we face, to join a community of Galactic Civilizations. This record represents our hope and our determination and our goodwill in a vast and awesome universe."

Definitely, pre-ordered.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

i think im most excited about the etching this realease is so off the wall but its perfect for tmr i cant wait.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I am absolutely ecstatic about this. It's one of my favorite things to read about, I am pure joy right now.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

This is a good news, perfect to start the day !
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

this is probably the most exciting non JW band related record that he's put out on the TMR label... i really love the significance behind this 7" on top of the fact that i really am digging this song...
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

And here I thought that Transit was a weird choice. Love it!
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

WOW. this is very exciting.
I've thought to myself, it is a shame that TMR can't put this out probably due to legalities and what not.

Think I'm gonna try to make it down to TMR for this one for sure...
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

If anyone can score any extra tricolor from TMR Nashville please let me know
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

it wont be a tri color there making it cosmo colored
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

I'm thrilled TMR has found a way to put this on wax. What a fitting tribute to the Voyagers' Golden Record.

"Send more Chuck Berry!"
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org