Third Man Board Game

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Datch
Little Acorn

Re: Third Man Board Game

Post by Datch »

Athinkingcat above got that one. Another lady found one in a local used store around that same time.
This game is mainly interesting for third man record fans as said above. The entry on boardgamegeeks is very empty too.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Datch wrote:Athinkingcat above got that one. Another lady found one in a local used store around that same time.
This game is mainly interesting for third man record fans as said above. The entry on boardgamegeeks is very empty too.
Correct. And since they were both found around the same time some of us thought it was a hoax. It was not a hoax. haha
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
gst510 wrote:Interesting. I wonder who's driving the price of the game. Is it a rare/desirable collectable for board game enthusiasts?
I guarantee every bid this game gets will be from Third Man fans. Ben is right. This is incredibly rare. And its secrecy has fascinated all Third Man collectors since the game emerged on Instagram a couple years ago.
I 100% disagree. Board game fans are more rabid then vinyl collectors. Check with your local gaming stores, see if they have local used game auctions. Mine does and it's awesome. Gaming fans pour money into this stuff. There are multiple huge board game conventions every year. It will not just be Jack White fans going for this. Not saying one won't end up with it...but they are far from the only interested parties.
But is this game that desirable in the game collecting world? Is it a known collectible in the gaming universe? I only ask because one sat for years on the boardgamegeek market place for $15 before it was discovered by Third Man fans.
This game is not necessarily desirable in the game collecting world. The one that sparked so much attention a couple years back was a random, inexpensive find by a board game collector. After he posted information about it online, someone in the TMR community sought the owner out looking to purchase.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Oh FFS $813 for a board game?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:Oh FFS $813 for a board game?
Hah. The import charges for me are estimated at $117 on top of that..

Crazy that people are willing to pay this and then shove it in a closet
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

arewhyehen wrote:

I wanted the game, don't get me wrong. But the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't need to own it. We know the history, we know it exists. The only reason to own it is for bragging rights, in the absence of an official explanation from someone within the TMR camp. It's definitely a curiosity. But whoever puts $1k into this thing will never, ever get it back out again.

(EDIT: I was wrong.)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

I wanted the game, don't get me wrong. For the history. But the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't need to own it. We know the history, we know it exists. The only reason to own it is for bragging rights, in the absence of an official explanation from someone within the TMR camp. It's definitely a curiosity. But whoever puts $1k into this thing will never, ever get it back out again.
You can get race to the galaxy and all of it's expansions for less than that.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

$800 looks about right to me...about the price of a 3" DT.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

dylnfan wrote:$800 looks about right to me...about the price of a 3" DT.
How about $1136.11?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

If you want to know how to play btw, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Men%27s_Morris
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Finally tracked one down for a decent price. I'm thinking I'll frame the board for the studio downstairs. But after searching this long, I have to play the game at least once.

I also found out there are a few color variations of the game. For instance, the yellow/blue pieces we've already seen are thinner and solid. I saw another with orange/white pieces which are fatter and hollow like a goblet. Mine has red/blue pieces which are the fatter goblet style pieces. I've only seen two variants of the board. It's the exact same design except the brown is sometimes printed in blue. I read these were all hand-made prototypes that never made it to production so I'm assuming they used different colors when screen printing the boards.

There can't be many of them out there. This is only the 5th one I've ever seen available since we discovered the game years ago. But who knows?

I'd really love to know the story of how this came to be the Third Man logo. As a 1968 prototype game out of Ohio, what are the odds of someone in Detroit having one lying around in the 90's?

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I sold the game from my previous post. Initially it was for Paul McCartney tickets but ended up going toward some small-diaphragm condenser mics for my studio. I, of course, eventually regretted selling it (we've all been there). But I got lucky, another fell into my lap the other day. :)

Here it is, for comparison. I noticed a minor difference in color on the lid of the box. The one I had before was more orange and this one leans more toward red-ish. The boards are identical, as far as I can tell, as are the instruction book and the blue pegs. The red pegs on this one are the wooden ones. The description on the box says all the pegs are supposed to be wooden. But in my research I found some of them went out with "replacement" plastic pieces. As I mentioned in my last post, the ones I have seen have all had different colored peg combinations and some are wooden, some are plastic. It's just another interesting mystery of this piece. And this is now the 7th set I've ever seen, including the one in the Third Man archive in Nashville.

I want to say I'll never sell this one but we know around here to never say never. But for now I'm gonna frame the board and keep it around a while.