Visiting the show!

Your Turntable's Not Dead
conordawson90
Little Bird

Visiting the show!

Post by conordawson90 »

I'm visiting the shop from England for the first time this weekend, currently in Memphis before getting to Nashville on Saturday afternoon. What should I expect? Do they normally do tours or things of the blue room? Where's good to go in Nashville. Yards yadda yadda
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Visiting the show!

Post by Alabama Woody »

Get you one of the new jack white 45 boxes from Devils Night. Last I heard they still have them. Tell them where your from maybe they will throw you a bone .... No tours, might catch them in a good mood ? But it's basically a record shop with very cool aesthetics !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Have fun. Trip of a lifetime.

I went a few years ago from London with my wife and two year old and loved it.
There is a thread here somewhere about Nashville and
other recommendations.

Not a lot of special items in the store but should be great all the same.
There is a vending machine with badges worth a go.
Any spare TWS pins welcome ;-)

I would recommend going to United pressing plant for a tour
and going to the hatch show printing store
whilst in Nashville.

Also if you get to Memphis - Stax, Sun records , Graceland
all well worth it
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

There are a couple threads here on visiting the area, do a quick search and they should come up easily.

1. URP only does tours on Fridays in the morning, check their website for details.
2. TMR doesn't do tours of the Blue Room etc. for everyday folk but what they have in the shop is fun. Definitely take advantage of the photo booth and the recording booth!
3. Lots of places in downtown Nashville to visit on a walking tour. The Ryman is really nice, even without a show going on.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

The store has come a long way lately but no tours or anything. They have the guitar mould machine, the record booth, photo booth and a few other machines. They also have a new room in the back corner that a lot of people miss. It's got a bunch of posters and records all over the wall. Sort of a sitting/listening area..

But yeah, no special treatment for people who travel long distance or anything haha...though they did open shop for me an hour early once and I talked to Blackwell and the girls for 45mins about a bunch of cool things..

As far as things in Nashville..

Tour of United Record Pressing
Johnny Cash Museum
Ryman Auditorium
Hot diggity dogs is a great place to eat just around the corner from third man
Fido (on 21st) is my favourite place to eat breakfast. My girlfriend and I go every day we are there and order the same thing. It's in a cool little village with some small shops that are great.

As far as other suggestions...there are tons in a thread I started here...

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... +Nashville
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

I went for the first time last week and I will say I was not prepared for the shop to be as small as it is. But it is a whole lot of awesome packed into a small place! I was there right after they opened in the morning. The girls working in the shop were nice, I talked to the one about that night's Devil's Night show and told her it was my first time in Nashville. Definitely explore every inch of the place, there's something every place you turn. As others have said, take advantage of the record booth and photo booth. Not that much merch exclusive to the store, but I grabbed a TMR baseball hat and some store only buttons, as well as a few things that were sold out in the online store. Definitely grab a Born Rotten 45 box if they still have them in stock.

Have a blast at TMR and in Nashville!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

pgharf wrote:I went for the first time last week and I will say I was not prepared for the shop to be as small as it is. But it is a whole lot of awesome packed into a small place! I was there right after they opened in the morning. The girls working in the shop were nice, I talked to the one about that night's Devil's Night show and told her it was my first time in Nashville. Definitely explore every inch of the place, there's something every place you turn. As others have said, take advantage of the record booth and photo booth. Not that much merch exclusive to the store, but I grabbed a TMR baseball hat and some store only buttons, as well as a few things that were sold out in the online store. Definitely grab a Born Rotten 45 box if they still have them in stock.

Have a blast at TMR and in Nashville!
Haha, yes I remember my first time going to the store....It was very small. At the time it was only the first small room you walk into with a bunch of shelves of records. The larger parts to the right with the machines and booths are all expansions within the last few years. I walked in to the shop and it was literally the size of my bedroom and I thought.."That's it?" I traveled 14 hours in a car for this? haha So yeah, you've seen a large store compared to what it was..
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

There's a good list here:
http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... t=fido+ara

And even more over in the Little Room:
http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... man&page=1

Have a great time.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Make sure you pee on the train tracks. I always do.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

runofthemill wrote:Make sure you pee on the train tracks. I always do.
Ahaha, i may have done that one night walking to the liquor store to get more booze while waiting in line one year for RSD...those nights can get long and you drink a lot of beer...
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

This is a useful map when traveling to TMR for limited releases. Mens restroom can be found at the .2 mile marker. Women's restroom at MacDoogals.
TMR Map.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I didn't think of this on my last trip there, but you could possibly also head to the Music City Center for restrooms nowadays, too, over on the other side of Lafayette.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:I didn't think of this on my last trip there, but you could possibly also head to the Music City Center for restrooms nowadays, too, over on the other side of Lafayette.
I walked all over in that direction last time and nothing had a bathroom...I even tried the enterprise??? i think it was and they wouldnt let me in...haha

The way Ara shows can sometimes take 30 mins because of the train...........
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Did you try going in the Music City Center? I can't imagine a convention center not having bathrooms. Though who knows how much you'd have to walk around inside to find 'em...
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Hey Ryan the listening room comes and goes. I think they just have walls they move around. It's not there now .....
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody