Nobody's Vault But Mine: 3rd Annual Event

Your Turntable's Not Dead
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Nobody's Vault But Mine: 3rd Annual Event

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Very well could be the case ... if that is the situation then maybe they were just having a nice time hanging around with friends to the end of the night while waiting to get paid ... that and needing to wait until the end of the show to get their equipment broken down as well

all i can tell you is that the fans didnt perceive it like that for the most part... i know other bands who have done the same thing because they evolved into daytime people
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Thanks to Kali and Blueford for clarifying that Dex requested the early time slot. TRE might be right that the audience could get the wrong impression though. There might be a way to make it clear on the poster or the announcements just what the pecking order is, if they wanted to. But that sort of thing can get very sensitive, as hierarchies always do; maybe not worth the potentially bruised egos.
Kali Durga wrote:^^ That sounds like the Dex'n'Sara show I attended at an art gallery in Baltimore. It was a very disorganized "festival" setup and their time kept getting pushed back and pushed back and they ended up not going on until 2:30 in the morning, and there were maybe twenty people left, including the bar staff. Dex was surprisingly chipper, though, not cranky at all. In fact, when he was playing his solo section, he stopped at one point, hopped off the stage, and ran around giving everyone hugs. That's still my favorite DRD show.
What a great story - thanks for sharing that. :-]
So Jack still has some ways to go yet, if he aims to equal his music heroes. 8-)
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

DeeBee wrote:Thanks to Kali and Blueford for clarifying that Dex requested the early time slot. TRE might be right that the audience could get the wrong impression though. There might be a way to make it clear on the poster or the announcements just what the pecking order is, if they wanted to. But that sort of thing can get very sensitive, as hierarchies always do; maybe not worth the potentially bruised egos.
How many of the people in attendance at the event were actually concerned about this, musicians included? Let's have a show of hands. Personally, I had no clue what order any of the bands were playing in until they stepped up onto the stage, and was happy that Dex'n'Sara played when they did so that I could leave before the Black Belles came on.

Oops, I guess I just bruised Olivia Jean's ego.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

The youngest band headlined night #2 as well...but I don't think anyone complained about the order...(Well other than the secret post headline band.)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Kali Durga wrote: How many of the people in attendance at the event were actually concerned about this, musicians included? Let's have a show of hands.
Maybe it wasn't an issue for anyone at this particular show. It's hard to know, isn't it? If it was an issue for some musicians, they're unlikely to voice any complaints about it for fear of sounding petty. But musicians often do have those kinds of ego concerns about where they are on the bill.

(For example, I noticed that Jack White was headlining at quite a few of the festivals he was playing, even though it's his first solo tour. Some festival attendees had questioned and criticized that online, saying that he should not be a headliner as a solo act. So some festivals might have wanted to include him lower on the bill; but I did not notice him playing any festival shows where he was not at or very near the top of the pecking order. I don't know that he or his management team made any specific demands along those lines; but it would be completely reasonable and justified if he had, given his outstanding track record with his other bands and the general high esteem in which he is held within the music world.)

It's only human to care about things like that, and anyone in the entertainment business who claims to have no ego issues is probably lying. Anyway, I was trying to find a graceful way to transition out of that issue, not to perpetuate it and make it even bigger. Again, it was probably not a big huge deal at a relatively informal party gig like this one; but it was not at all unreasonable that TRE would raise it as an issue, especially if she was concerned that Dex Romweber should be treated with more respect.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Kali Durga wrote:

So, how 'bout them Soledads, huh? I'm still blown away by that.
Hells yeah!
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I'm really sick that I missed them, the Soledads have been a staple of my road music this summer (which means I've listened to them a LOT!).
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Any update on the Ultra SC 7"? Can't wait to spin that bad boy!
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Anyone have video of Pujol's set? I need to show my wife that he mentioned me on stage!
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Stl_ben wrote:Anyone have video of Pujol's set? I need to show my wife that he mentioned me on stage!
I've got some great pics, but no video.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
gdm
Little Acorn

Nobody's Vault But Mine: 3rd Annual Event

Post by gdm »

dylnfan wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Anyone have video of Pujol's set? I need to show my wife that he mentioned me on stage!
he mentioned you? What did he say?
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Done for now, keep it clean please.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

gdm wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
I have started the habit of bringing him comics to read, and he thanked me mid-set....so that was pretty awesome.
gdm
Little Acorn

Post by gdm »

Stl_ben wrote:
gdm wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
I have started the habit of bringing him comics to read, and he thanked me mid-set....so that was pretty awesome.
Very cool!
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

something like "why does this jerk from st. louis keep stalking me and giving me comic books?!"
he is everything i hate...