Rate the White Stripes albums

Everything in Stripes
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Re: Rate the White Stripes albums

Post by Getbacktogether »

Also i don't know who could hate on my door bell but whatever we all have our own taste.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I'd be interested to see which album it was that got certain people into the band, see if that correlates with particularly high and low ratings of albums.
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

Elephant for me
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

JonnyH wrote:
Obliquitous wrote:My doorbell is bouncy, playful, and catchy. Nothing wrong with that.
It is legit one of my favorite White Stripes songs. And music videos for that matter.
+1
hunter333
Little Bird

Post by hunter333 »

Lets shake hands single for me. My mate went usa in 99 and brought back a few random records and that was one of them. That high pitch guitar squeak in the first second done it for me! Still guted they finished, for me they were pretty much faultless (apart from my doorbell lol) I know I rated get behind me satan last in my list but they set high standards do the stripes. Still satan is a decent album.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

I'll redo mine based on the ones that get played the most

1-Icky Thump
2-Get Behind Me Satan
3-White Blood Cells
4-Elephant
5-White Stripes
6-De Stijl
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Okay - I'll play too.

Elephant
White Blood Cells
Icky Thump
De Stijl
White Stripes

Get Behind Me Satan

WBC got me addicted to the Stripes, Elephant's their masterpiece, Icky Thump is incredibly under rated & I never spin gbms (that album made me almost stop listening to them... almost).
aaronmchidester
Little Bird

Post by aaronmchidester »

Getbacktogether wrote:The White Stripes- 8
De Stijl- 10
White Blood Cells- 8
Elephant- 10
Get Behind Me Satan- 9
Icky Thump- 13
Finally some love for Icky Thump! :D
"It's safe to say somebody out there's got a problem with almost anything you'll do."
Freter
Little Acorn

Post by Freter »

My mom had a friend who liked the Stripes, so I burned a bunch of The White Stripes from her computer. However in a move all of the music was lost, besides the CD with The White Stripes on it. So that would be my favorite. The rest are great, but I like them all the same.
mysteriousprism
Little Bird

Post by mysteriousprism »

aaronmchidester wrote: I'd like to pre-emptively defend my rating of 5 for White Blood Cells. It's fantastic, until about 3/4ths of the way through. Then it's filler songs they almost never played live and almost no one remembers the words to. Really deep cuts. I'm sure everyone has their favorites of those, but they must have learned through that experience that you should skatter the great songs throughout the album and put the good and the okay songs in between. After WBC, that's what they did. I'm just saying that for an album with amazing tracks like Dead Leaves, Hotel Yorba, and Fell In Love With a Girl, they really stuffed it with other songs that just didn't hit as hard. Still better than some singles from lots of other bands, though. Because The White Stripes. :D
I understand this in some ways, but the songs that were rarely ever played by TWS are Jack White classics in my opinion. Expecting has an amazing riff that was most likely thought up in 1999 at The Gold Dollar during a November show (it's on Youtube, right after Hello Operator). Aluminum doesn't have words to remember and is LOUD and awesome. I Can't Wait was written around 1999 and played at a Bricks concert, with a guitar solo and some extra stuff they could do with four people in the band, I think it's one the strongest songs on the album. Now Mary was written around 1998, played with 2 Star Tabernacle and the Bricks, has some great lyrics that I've always remembered. I Can Learn is not the strongest song, but it was played at the first White Stripes show in '97, pretty cool. This Protector has been played at least 21 times live, has the best repetitive piano riff ever, and some powerful lyrics. I respect your opinion and whole heartedly disagree, not every song is or could be a single. Just my 2 cents.

As for rating the albums here's my ratings

The White Stripes - 9
De Stijl - 10 (I want the whole album played at my funeral)
White Blood Cells - 9
Elephant - 8
Get Behind Me Satan - 9
Icky Thump - 7

I never loved Icky Thump, great album, too out of place/thin-sounding in my opinion. Icky Thump (the song) just seemed out of place for Jack, even when played live he looks uncomfortable to me. You Don't Know What Love is (You Just Do As Your Told) has some great riffs (fun to play on pedal steel too), just very weak lyrics. Conquest is good but is hard to listen to. Bone Broke is the best White Stripes song that was never played live, sadly. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn is what made me want to play mandolin (and sometimes bagpipe). I think the album sans You Don't Know... and Conquest would make it a 9 or so.

All in all, why would anyone dislike a Stripes album, they're all unique and powerful. Why hate on GBMS, Icky Thump, De Stijl, WBC? They all offer something good to the table.
"What gave me this power to construct you? Your guess is as good as mine."
-Cash Grab Complications on the Matter
hunter333
Little Bird

Post by hunter333 »

mysteriousprism wrote:
aaronmchidester wrote: I'd like to pre-emptively defend my rating of 5 for White Blood Cells. It's fantastic, until about 3/4ths of the way through. Then it's filler songs they almost never played live and almost no one remembers the words to. Really deep cuts. I'm sure everyone has their favorites of those, but they must have learned through that experience that you should skatter the great songs throughout the album and put the good and the okay songs in between. After WBC, that's what they did. I'm just saying that for an album with amazing tracks like Dead Leaves, Hotel Yorba, and Fell In Love With a Girl, they really stuffed it with other songs that just didn't hit as hard. Still better than some singles from lots of other bands, though. Because The White Stripes. :D
I understand this in some ways, but the songs that were rarely ever played by TWS are Jack White classics in my opinion. Expecting has an amazing riff that was most likely thought up in 1999 at The Gold Dollar during a November show (it's on Youtube, right after Hello Operator). Aluminum doesn't have words to remember and is LOUD and awesome. I Can't Wait was written around 1999 and played at a Bricks concert, with a guitar solo and some extra stuff they could do with four people in the band, I think it's one the strongest songs on the album. Now Mary was written around 1998, played with 2 Star Tabernacle and the Bricks, has some great lyrics that I've always remembered. I Can Learn is not the strongest song, but it was played at the first White Stripes show in '97, pretty cool. This Protector has been played at least 21 times live, has the best repetitive piano riff ever, and some powerful lyrics. I respect your opinion and whole heartedly disagree, not every song is or could be a single. Just my 2 cents.

The White Stripes - 9
White Blood Cells - 9
Elephant - 8
Get Behind Me Satan - 9
Icky Thump - 7

I never loved Icky Thump, great album, too out of place/thin-sounding in my opinion. Icky Thump (the song) just seemed out of place for Jack, even when played live he looks uncomfortable to me. You Don't Know What Love is (You Just Do As Your Told) has some great riffs (fun to play on pedal steel too), just very weak lyrics. Conquest is good but is hard to listen to. Bone Broke is the best White Stripes song that was never played live, sadly. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn is what made me want to play mandolin (and sometimes bagpipe). I think the album sans You Don't Know... and Conquest would make it a 9 or so.

All in all, why would anyone dislike a Stripes album, they're all unique and powerful. Why hate on GBMS, Icky Thump, De Stijl, WBC? They all offer something good to the table.

Agrre with what you say about white blood cells, expecting is one of my favs, so is offend in every way I love that guitar riff, s
aaronmchidester
Little Bird

Post by aaronmchidester »

mysteriousprism wrote:

The White Stripes - 9
White Blood Cells - 9
Elephant - 8
Get Behind Me Satan - 9
Icky Thump - 7

Yeah, I see your side of this too. Like I said, they're deep cuts. But each track has a reason to be on there. I just feel that the album as a whole could've been structured better. It wasn't very evenly dispersed. But it has awesome stuff.

And I get what you mean about You Don't Know What Love Is. Honestly, it sounds a bit like a leftover Raconteurs track he never got to record with them on their first record, so he just did it with Meg on Icky Thump. Just a guess based purely on the sound. Seriously, listen to that song, then Broken Boy Soldier.
"It's safe to say somebody out there's got a problem with almost anything you'll do."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

The first one is alway the best one, same in this case - 10

The rest 8 - 9, they all differ in their own way. They all get better the more you listen to them.

Raconteurs, nobody asked. Both albums - 10. Need more.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

1. Get Behind Me Satan
2. Elephant
3. White Blood Cells
4. De Stijl
5. The White Stripes
6. Icky Thumps

That being said those top 5 albums are in my top 30 and Icky Thump, top 70.
rietveld
Little Bird

Post by rietveld »

I'd have to say:

De Stjil
White Blood Cells
The White Stripes
Elephant
Icky Thump
Get Behind Me Satan

In 2001 a friend of mine asked me and a group of friends if we fancied going to a gig in Liverpool- she told me it was this brother and sister duo from America who wore black, red and white and played the blues. As we'd recently been to a string of absolutely rubbish gigs we could barely afford and were disappointed by, my response was 'god, that sounds awful' and we didn't go. A few weeks later I heard Hotel Yorba- after the first few seconds into the song, I was hooked and I bought White Blood Cells as soon as I could... the regret of not just going into town to see the band kills me now!
"Yeah, I look nothing like the kids in the videos"
A1004