The Last Show Mississippi

Everything in Stripes
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

The Last Show Mississippi

Post by I Ate The Walrus »

I would love some more information on this show, perhaps there are people on the forum who were present? I do not know too much about the last few shows or tour as I was not aware of the band at the time (shame on me).

Today I had a really good listen to the live vault version released last year and a number of things stood out for me:

- Jack and Meg both struggle to sing their songs (I am guessing it was off the back of intense touring, but like I said I do not know much at all about the tour)

- Some strange renditions of songs (it sounds like there is some mic problems during ball and biscuit, the improv between the verses is a bit unusual as well)

- 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues (encore?) has only Jack and no Meg (guessing again, she was off stage)

Can anyone shed some light on these or any other part of the show?
hawke000

Re: The Last Show Mississippi

Post by hawke000 »

In the etching it says,

"Meg told me before the show"

What more do you need than that?
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I Ate The Walrus wrote:I would love some more information on this show, perhaps there are people on the forum who were present? I do not know too much about the last few shows or tour as I was not aware of the band at the time (shame on me).

Today I had a really good listen to the live vault version released last year and a number of things stood out for me:

- Jack and Meg both struggle to sing their songs (I am guessing it was off the back of intense touring, but like I said I do not know much at all about the tour)

- Some strange renditions of songs (it sounds like there is some mic problems during ball and biscuit, the improv between the verses is a bit unusual as well)

- 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues (encore?) has only Jack and no Meg (guessing again, she was off stage)

Can anyone shed some light on these or any other part of the show?
I think both of their voices are on-par: Jack has his melodramatic-frantic moments and Meg simply can't sing. Nothing unusual as far as I can hear.

They often changed up how songs were done.

I'll have to listen closely for the 300mph to hear what you're talking about.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

hawke000 wrote:In the etching it says,

So you are saying they both knew this would be the last show? I am not so sure...

During the sign off in Boll Wevil: 'We're gonna keep on trucking'.

The etching on the vinyl could mean any number of things, you can be sure that they knew they were tired.

But I do not want to talk about just that, I would like to hear some accounts from people who were at the show as well. What did you guys think of the performance?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I was at the one the night before and they seemed on fire and perfect.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I Ate The Walrus wrote:

So you are saying they both knew this would be the last show? I am not so sure...

During the sign off in Boll Wevil: 'We're gonna keep on trucking'.

The etching on the vinyl could mean any number of things, you can be sure that they knew they were tired.

But I do not want to talk about just that, I would like to hear some accounts from people who were at the show as well. What did you guys think of the performance?

20 bucks says Jack knew. He might have known it was their last show ever, but he knew they were going to stop for a while. He keeps rambling on the last song, he says a bunch of conflicting things.
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

The etchings on the vinyls from TMR are always revealing, like on the b-side for 'Lord send me an angel' single release...'we didn't even know it was called auto-tune'. But I am not certain on this one.

http://www.soundchronicle.com/concert-n ... -2007-tour

^^
This is a list of the US dates for that year, everything after...7/31/2007 - Southaven, MS - Snowden Grove Park Amphitheater was cancelled along with UK dates that were planned. There is a month between Mississippi and the next set of American tour dates so I do not think they would have decided that night, but who knows.

At mojoryan, I know they like to mix it up live but the ones I mentioned I think are out of the ordinary. I get the feeling there were technical issues during ball and biscuit, I was hoping someone there might have something to add but until then...
TRWS75
Little Cream Soda

Post by TRWS75 »

A few comments from the Little Room from the thread about the show and a review:

"Jack's little temper tantrum during Ball and Biscuit over the mic trouble."

"setlist ::

Stop Breaking Down....played partially on organ
Let's Build a Home
When I Hear My Name
Icky Thump...standing on amps, crowd clapping along
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground...while at the organ begins singing Ugly as I Seem and gets about 3 verses into it before falling back into DLATDG
Same Boy You've Always Known
Wasting My Time...very heavy and slow paced
Phonograph Blues...Robert Johnson cover (title courtesy of someone who had a working brain)
Cannon...each version I see him play of this just gets heavier...
Death Letter...sat on the stool behind Meg's kit while doing the initial work for this song...broke a string 1/2 way in
"I can't even tell you how much it means for me to be here tonight, so I won't even bother"
Astro...alternative version with a 'lil Apple Blossom
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just do as Your Told)...went for the organ but there was no air flowin' in it, so he had to give it a good pump to get it started...had crowd sing along
Cold Cold Night
I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart...on organ
Hotel Yorba
A Martyr for My Love for You...another song that gets more incredible each time he plays it...very tender version
Ball and Biscuit...fussed with the mic a little bit

encore ::

300mph Outpour Blues...Jack performs it solo without Meg, who comes back to the stage after he finishes...another tender version but super heavy-handed during the solos...just think of as good as it could be, and that was it.
Blue Orchid
I'm Slowly Turning Into You...maybe there were some alternate lyrics tucked away, I'm not totally sure, but he walked up the ramp and not the stairs to cross the bridge on this one, while playing. And the disco ball is so amazing during this song. makes you want to buy one and put them in every room of your house. This song is my new live favorite...hands-down.
Boil Weevil

They kissed the ground before bowing...saying their goodbye's and their thank-you's and their "I'm sorry it took us so long to get to Mississippi", dropping a "God Bless Robert Johnson. God Bless Son House" And noting that they have now played all states East of the Mississippi."

"White Stripes audience feels the love

By Lindsey Turner

August 1, 2007

Jack White is spitting and sweating, his left hand sliding up and down the neck of his acoustic electric guitar, his fingers possessed by rock and roll demons guiding him through the bars of Son House's "Death Letter."

He has already broken a string and he doesn't care.

There are 10,000 people packed into the Snowden Grove Amphitheater Tuesday night in Southaven to see the White Stripes. The people in the crowd are swaying, bouncing, singing and passing things — cameras, flasks, smokable items — their hands in the air, shredding invisible guitars and pounding invisible drums. They are an ecstatic group — one whipped into a frenzy by the once-married duo from Detroit on their quest to play a show in every state they had yet to visit before this tour. And now, Mississippi? Check.
As Jack and Meg jam under simple red and white lights on their all-red stage, I can't help but look around at the crowd and notice the love their blues-inspired garage rock elicits from people. People are smiling and hugging and apologizing when they've stepped on toes. They seem happy. Way happier than most people at most rock shows. I've got a lady to the left of me playing a game of butt-bump with my friend even though she doesn't know him, and as she passes by me she gives me a big hug and smooch on the cheek just so I'll know how much fun she's having.

But, while the show in the crowd is fully entertaining, there is a bigger show happening on stage. There's a color-coordinated rock spectacle exploding and pounding its way through every skull in the place. There are two people up there making the kind of noise you'd expect from a five-piece rock band. The whole spectacle, feels a little bigger than itself.

Somewhat surprisingly, the band spends most of their time playing older songs — "Let's Build a Home," "Hotel Yorba," "Stop Breaking Down" and at least a dozen more — instead of tracks from "Icky Thump,"
released in June. But the rendition of the title track from the new album is fierce; the distortion and the drumbeats are heavy, as Jack spits the sarcastic lyrics. Until the encore, the only other track from the new album that makes an appearance is "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)."

It's not until eight or nine songs in that Jack addresses the crowd. It makes sense, though, that he would wait so long to mumble a salutation; when you're busy rocking out and melting the walls with your sonic output, there's no reason to stop the momentum to chat.

The band has a few surprises: "I Want to Be the Boy," the sweet love song from 2003's "Elephant," takes on a darker feel with Jack White's sinister organ work as a backdrop. "Ugly as I Seem" crops up in the middle of "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground." "Astro," from 1999's self-titled debut, is stripped and slowed down, and given a bit of a swing beat. And Jack ducks into the shadows so that Meg can take the mike and sing "In the Cold Cold Night." She looks a bit embarrassed to be on stage anyway, even behind her drum kit — which she completely owns, by the way — but when she takes to the mike, she seems positively mortified. She shuts her eyes and grips the thing and barely moves. And the crowd goes wild.

The running-time seems a little short, though, an hour plus a fifteen-minute encore, which includes two other tracks from the new album, plus the band's cover of Leadbelly's "De Ballet of De Boll Weevil." The show offers no major surprises (does a faulty mike stand count?) or outrageous antics that make you shriek because you just witnessed a moment that's destined to become rock trivia. What we have is just straightforward rock and roll — face-melting, heart-pounding rock and roll pumped out by the loudest two people you're ever likely to hear.

And I don't think the people of Mississippi could have been happier."
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

Thanks for that, that explains the mic thing then.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

TRWS75 wrote:"The show offers no major surprises (does a faulty mike stand count?) or outrageous antics that make you shriek because you just witnessed a moment that's destined to become rock trivia."
Little did they know...
billdore
Little Bird

Post by billdore »

I Ate The Walrus wrote:

I always assumed they knew.

As for vocals, they might seem a bit wonky because the SBD mix might be a little heavy for you. For sure, it's not like listening to the LV show (or other SBDs of theirs), but the heavier the mix on the SBD side, the more off the vocals can sound. To each his own though...
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Post by drummintodabeat »

I was looking through my house the other day and found this little morsel. I thought it would be appropriate here. I was at the Birmingham show(sloss furnace) the night before this show and on the way back to my car I saw this flyer on the ground. Little did I know this flyer would represent their last show. Needless to say, it has some sentimental value in it. Very glad I was able to catch them in Bham.

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ That's very cool :)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."