Australian Elephant

Everything in Stripes
D3STIJL
Little Bird

Australian Elephant

Post by D3STIJL »

Hello all,

A quick question on TWS Elephant album:

Does anyone have any information or know the difference between the gatefold Aussie Elephant pressing, and the non-gatefold Aussie pressing (besides the obvious)?

Just trying to gather information on the small collection I've managed to put together,

Dave

P.S. Any help or info. with this would be much appreciated.
love_islander
Little People

Re: Australian Elephant

Post by love_islander »

It should be in a forum around here, but I thought the non-gatefold was just a red cover with the word ELEPHANT across the front, whereas the gatefold has the "standard" elephant cover with the pair in white
D3STIJL
Little Bird

Post by D3STIJL »

I actually have a non-gatefold from Australia with the pair in white...

Which obviously looks exactly like the gatefold version.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=10 - page 2 and 3 they discuss the differences between the 2, with photos.

Pardon to all for my blasphemy above
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

I'll probably get shot down for being entirely at the wrong end of the stick but from what I have gathered the gatefold was the original and correct issue. The single sleeves were manufactured by XL because they wanted to keep shipping costs down but they were never used. Someone dug them out of the XL vaults a few years ago and stuck the 2008 Elephant repress inside (with the extra B number matrix) and flogged them off. So technically it's not an official release.

I expect someone with more knowledge than I will fill you in on numbers. Or if I have my facts wrong.
...if you can hear a piano fall...
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

coldsoup wrote:I'll probably get shot down for being entirely at the wrong end of the stick but from what I have gathered the gatefold was the original and correct issue. The single sleeves were manufactured by XL because they wanted to keep shipping costs down but they were never used. Someone dug them out of the XL vaults a few years ago and stuck the 2008 Elephant repress inside (with the extra B number matrix) and flogged them off. So technically it's not an official release.

I expect someone with more knowledge than I will fill you in on numbers. Or if I have my facts wrong.
Both are XL and from official sources afaik
If you go down the road of saying official releases
were all available from record stores / official outlets
then promos , and stuff like the Meg disc
would be 'unofficial'
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

Kaber wrote:
coldsoup wrote:I'll probably get shot down for being entirely at the wrong end of the stick but from what I have gathered the gatefold was the original and correct issue. The single sleeves were manufactured by XL because they wanted to keep shipping costs down but they were never used. Someone dug them out of the XL vaults a few years ago and stuck the 2008 Elephant repress inside (with the extra B number matrix) and flogged them off. So technically it's not an official release.

Both are XL and from official sources afaik
If you go down the road of saying official releases
were all available from record stores / official outlets
then promos , and stuff like the Meg disc
would be 'unofficial'
I wasn't implying unofficial meant 'bad', just that there was a difference in how these versions were created. I was just lead to believe that's how the single sleeve version came about, if it's true then I reckon that's not quite the same, and that's useful for someone trying to find out info. I read what I know on the Swirl. Sadly for me I have neither, although I want (need?) both. I'd be keen to hear from a single sleeve owner whether the disc has the additional B matrix number.

Also promos and things like the Meg disc I'd personally class as clearly official releases. But that's off topic and entirely based on opinion not fact and therefore probably irrelevant.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I'd agree with most of what you said except for the shipping part. There's no way that a single sleeve is any cheaper to ship than a gatefold sleeve, doesn't reduce the dimensions of the packet and barely reduces the weight.. I really have no idea where the sleeves came from but the vinyl is definately from the later repress.
D3STIJL
Little Bird

Post by D3STIJL »

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the info. One last question...

Do we know anything about the worth of either Aussie Elephant? Or, which is worth more?

By looking at all of the posts on this topic, I'd assume the non-gatefold is more rare. But then again, I'd be assuming.

I don't know for sure,

Dave
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

The non gatefold is more rare Im pretty sure. I think theres 30-40 of them.
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

higherlimits wrote:I'd agree with most of what you said except for the shipping part. There's no way that a single sleeve is any cheaper to ship than a gatefold sleeve, doesn't reduce the dimensions of the packet and barely reduces the weight.. I really have no idea where the sleeves came from but the vinyl is definately from the later repress.
Very true. That bit doesn't make sense. My guess is they were just a sample run, there are only meant to be very few out there. Then some shifty fella stuck the represses in.
HIghVoltage3
Little Bird

Post by HIghVoltage3 »

would anyone be interested in trading an Aussie gatefold for an Aussie single sleeve?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Oxywhite wrote:
love_islander wrote:It should be in a forum around here, but I thought the non-gatefold was just a red cover with the word ELEPHANT across the front, whereas the gatefold has the "standard" elephant cover with the pair in white
Your reply is full with important information's. And also you have shared some. I know elephant are so big and their food habit is large. So, can you tell about their food habit?
Attack of the spambot.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Stl_ben wrote:
Oxywhite wrote:
love_islander wrote:It should be in a forum around here, but I thought the non-gatefold was just a red cover with the word ELEPHANT across the front, whereas the gatefold has the "standard" elephant cover with the pair in white
Your reply is full with important information's. And also you have shared some. I know elephant are so big and their food habit is large. So, can you tell about their food habit?
Attack of the spambot.
Bitch better be careful of who he's quotin'. I'll be all up in his shit
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

im going to say that both are worth the same,, even if the single sleeve is more rare i dont think its more or less valuable,,,
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>