Little Acorn

Re: Jack White's Gretsch White Penguin

Post by EdwardWBjornson »

Yep.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Anybody know what the green Gretsch is, that Jack plays in it might get loud, with the Racs? The one with the mic custom cut into it? Is it a G6120XX?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I don't think it's a Gretsch, it's a custom guitar by Randy Parsons.

Here are some pictures of the Cooper Triple Jet and the building process, the guitar might look like a Gretsch and even have the headstock inlay but it's definately custom..
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

That luthier has since been employed by Gretsch.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
kalv04
Little Acorn

Post by kalv04 »

chrono_1980 wrote:Anybody know what the green Gretsch is, that Jack plays in it might get loud, with the Racs? The one with the mic custom cut into it? Is it a G6120XX?
I was lucky enough to hold that guitar. Jack handed it to me in the back of TMR on "golden ticket" day. He said, "feel how heavy this old thing is." He went on to talk about the retractable mic that is mounted in it and showed me where he has a buffalo nickel glued to one of the knobs. VERY cool experience!
"Bye Snookums!" -nickboat
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

higherlimits wrote:I don't think it's a Gretsch, it's a custom guitar by Randy Parsons.

Here are some pictures of the Cooper Triple Jet and the building process, the guitar might look like a Gretsch and even have the headstock inlay but it's definately custom..
Pics??

Apart from the paint job and custom pick ups / built in speaker - I thought it looked like this one:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/ ... 2401255822

Cool that you got to hold it btw Kalv...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Here's some more info:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/jac ... ather/1154
What’s up with your guitar that has a builtin microphone?

That was created for the Raconteurs, as well. I call it the “Triple Green Machine.” It was based on the “Triple Jet” idea with an MXR Micro Amp wired to the middle pickup, and then I added more and more things. I started with a Gretsch Anniversary Jr., which was the only small hollowbody guitar I could find. I made it a double cutaway instead of a single. I had a Bigsby installed, and I put in an old mute, too. When you pull a lever, the mute comes up and dampens the strings. I also had a light-activated Theremin installed that I could control with my wrist while I was playing. When I lifted my wrist, the Theremin would be added to the sound. I wanted to be able to pull a Green Bullet microphone out of the body, sing into it, and have it retract when I dropped it. Randy found a vacuum cleaner retractor cord for that. He built a fake Green Bullet—a wooden one, because the metal one was too heavy to retract. It took a lot of experimenting. The guitar weighs more than a Les Paul because of all the components!
Interview with the guitar maker: http://randomville.com/wordpress/?p=5295
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

chrono_1980 wrote:
higherlimits wrote:I don't think it's a Gretsch, it's a custom guitar by Randy Parsons.

Pics??

Apart from the paint job and custom pick ups / built in speaker - I thought it looked like this one:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/ ... 2401255822

Cool that you got to hold it btw Kalv...
The guitar was more like this before his luthier added a second cutaway and alot of additional electronics.
http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/ ... 2401001871

In very early rac's performances you can see the guitar pre customization, ill try to find some pics later

im talking about the green triple guitar with the built in microphone not the copper jet
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

As I posted above it's a Gretsch Anniversary Jr.

chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Anyone ever play one? I'm back and forth on a semi hollow and a full hollow for my next guitar...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

My next guitar:
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

chrono_1980 wrote:Anyone ever play one? I'm back and forth on a semi hollow and a full hollow for my next guitar...
i have a white penguin, there pretty awesome. its technically a solid body guitar but actually most white penguins are made chambered, which is when they cut out some of the wood from inside the solid body to weight relieve it. they are really resonant because of it. when i play it through my 20watt marshall cranked it sings
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

rsimms3 wrote:My next guitar:
Well then...
[ebay]200618477589[/ebay]
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:My next guitar:
Well then...
[ebay]200618477589[/ebay]
Wrong thread. :lol:
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

hsp88 wrote:
chrono_1980 wrote:Anyone ever play one? I'm back and forth on a semi hollow and a full hollow for my next guitar...
i have a white penguin, there pretty awesome. its technically a solid body guitar but actually most white penguins are made chambered, which is when they cut out some of the wood from inside the solid body to weight relieve it. they are really resonant because of it. when i play it through my 20watt marshall cranked it sings
No doubt! Semi-hollows are tone BEASTS! I have an Epi Dot, played through my Fender DeVille...ughh...man...sustain, sustain, sustain.
But...I still lean toward my tele, as it just seems more versatile. 8-)
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5