Most sought after Rob Jones White Stripes poster?

Rob Jones, Print Mafia, Von Munz, Aesthetic Apparatus and more..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Most sought after Rob Jones White Stripes poster?

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ So what is the back story behind that one?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ So what is the back story behind that one?
"'This is John Baker, tour manager of the White Stripes, I'm in Lyon, France looking at a poster you did. Please call me back as soon as possible.' That phone message woke me up one fine September morning and I nearly messed my drawers. A friend had told me that so long as you had the venue's permission, it was cool to make posters for national touring acts. This, my second poster out attempting this procedure, demonstrated that wasn't the case. You had to get the band's permission too if you wanted to be safe and avoid a tongue-lashing.

I timidly called Baker back, and got a dressing down that had me stammering worse than Claudius. He unexpectedly ended the tirade, however, by revealing he and the band loved the poster. It felt like getting yelled at by your neighbor for breaking a window with a baseball only to have him compliment you for hitting the ball so far.

At any rate, I asked if I could submit some other posters for approval, and Baker agreed to look at them and show the band. So I'm indebted to him and France for setting me on a course that didn't involve storyboards for Tecate.

Probably the hardest poster of mine to find as the Stripes commandeered the 50 I sent to the club. Tiffany at Monotone also asked for an additional 10 later, so there aren't that many floating around outside the Stripes compound."

- Rob Jones
Sales History
http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/3579
http://www.whitestripes.com/archive/archive.html
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

And a couple of Honorable mentions for set pics I found while looking for Lyon; My framing tends to be plain so not to all tastes;
2003 sets.jpg
Winter set.jpg
Chess.jpg
UK Set.jpg
Glace Bay set.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I'm pretty sure I've seen those posted before, but wow, they are gorgeous. I can only hope that when I move in a year, I'll be able to find a house with similar space to hang all that I've got.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Yes I am lucky the top floor of my house is gallery style. Loads of space to hang art but terrible angles for pictures. I posted these and I think a whole lot of others a few years back in the "post your framed" thread but they seem to have deleted.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thanks for the info, Aaron. It's so cool to know little tidbits like that about posters. I printed out stuff like that for two of my Blunderbuss posters and affixed it to the back of the frame so that I have the story with the poster.

And, flattop, those are some damned impressive photos. Love that wall with the row of chess pieces hung low.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

How did you frame you Aluminum? Was that a DIY or did you take it somewhere?
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Kali Durga wrote:Thanks for the info, Aaron. It's so cool to know little tidbits like that about posters. I printed out stuff like that for two of my Blunderbuss posters and affixed it to the back of the frame so that I have the story with the poster.

And, flattop, those are some damned impressive photos. Love that wall with the row of chess pieces hung low.
Yeah I wish rob would send a paper that explains them all with the little stories because it makes the prints that much better.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

higherlimits wrote:How did you frame you Aluminum? Was that a DIY or did you take it somewhere?
Professional with spacers.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

There were quite a few back stories on TWS.com archive and Animal Rummy, I assume they are still up?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

flattop2001 wrote:There were quite a few back stories on TWS.com archive and Animal Rummy, I assume they are still up?
They are, I posted something last night about the archive link not being on TWS's website anymore. Although if you search white stripes archive, its the first result.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

another favorite of mine is the stained glass window print,, it is paris 04

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/9899
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

achouza wrote:another favorite of mine is the stained glass window print,, it is paris 04

I wish I could buy one of those for 40 - 50 bucks!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Alabama Woody wrote:
achouza wrote:another favorite of mine is the stained glass window print,, it is paris 04

I think we all do or even the pinball one for $40-$50.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Moller72 wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:

I think we all do or even the pinball one for $40-$50.
Yep!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody