Box Set: Under Great White Northern Lights

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Re: Box Set: Under Great White Northern Lights

Post by 7th_son »

candycaneboy03 wrote:i think the part that made me think that the carton number meant more was because i think it was handwritten... but i figured since nobody else had mentioned it, that it was just my speculation...
I noticed this too. My WB set came in a bigger box that was numbered with a marker "182"/1750 on the outer box. The 1750 was printed right on the box which also has the band name etc. It also says "Number of PCS: 2 / carton" though and 2 boxsets fit perfectly in the box. This seems to point to the sets possibly being an edition of 3500 sent as 2/box from the manufacturer. The inside boxes are then labelled WB or XL depending on which LP and 7'' is included and distributed accordingly. Looks like WB just re-used the boxes from the manufacturer to ship to customers. I could be wrong though.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Ok, not sure anyone has discussed/mentioned this yet, but any thoughts on UGWNL as compared to Under Blackpool Lights? Hadn't listened to the latter in some time, so thought I'd take a listen today while studying (obviously procrastinating right now). I'm probably going to be ridiculed/flamed for saying this, but I think the performance, the song selection, and the overall vibe is a cut-above UGWNL. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "oh my God Jack sucks these days" folks; I'm totally enjoying UGWNL. Maybe I just expected too much? Thoughts, criticisms, etc?
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
barrowc
Little Cream Soda

Post by barrowc »

black.math wrote:I ordered my WB copy from cduniverse...
Have they shipped it to you yet, Stefano?
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

dylnfan wrote:Ok, not sure anyone has discussed/mentioned this yet, but any thoughts on UGWNL as compared to Under Blackpool Lights? Hadn't listened to the latter in some time, so thought I'd take a listen today while studying (obviously procrastinating right now). I'm probably going to be ridiculed/flamed for saying this, but I think the performance, the song selection, and the overall vibe is a cut-above UGWNL. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "oh my God Jack sucks these days" folks; I'm totally enjoying UGWNL. Maybe I just expected too much? Thoughts, criticisms, etc?

im with you,, im guessing your referring to the glace bay concert vs blackpool,, (not the ugwnl doc vs blackpool),, i do love the new concert but dont see myself watching it as much as i do blackpool,,, pros of blackpool, i liked death letter more on this, ball and biscuit is the regular version which is better, i like the low def full concert full color look more than the black and white glace bay,,, pros of glace bay, they change it up on several songs so its not a carbon copy of blackpool,, ie fell in love with a girl, ball biscuit are different versions,, also this includes gbms and icky thump material which is great,, catch hell blues is awesome (too bad its not on the cd, just dvd)
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
black.math
Little Bird

Post by black.math »

barrowc wrote:
black.math wrote:I ordered my WB copy from cduniverse...
Have they shipped it to you yet, Stefano?
yes Colin, $15.49 with priority mail
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Kaber wrote: Beginning to really hate these box sets now.
Haven't even had a chance to watch the DVDs yet.
Yep. same here.
Yet another time that shitty merch company ruins the pleasure for me.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CandyCaneKid
Little Bird

Post by CandyCaneKid »

Just a heads up to this who haven't purchased the box set, or those who may be in a replacement situation (at least in the US).

I placed my order on the evening of March 24th. I got an e-mail, with confirmation, from Warner - it stated that my box set should arrive in 7-10 days.

Today I received an e-mail that informed me that the item I purchased is on "backorder." It will be another 1-2 weeks before they will be able to ship it, but it could be sooner.

Of course, the e-mail did not mention a possibility that I wouldn't get the box set. However, I have been in situations with other retailers (although, not WB) where "backorder" turns into "I'm sorry, we are out of them and they don't make it anymore - your money has been refunded." I sent them an e-mail back to confirm that I would get the box set eventually, and that they were not all gone. I have yet to get a response, but hopefully I get a heads-up so I can start looking for it elsewhere.
If the box set is truly a "limited edition," then it shouldn't be on backorder. When they run it out, they run out, it is over. From a business standpoint, if the demand is high enough, it be sensible to make more, but it would defeat the notion of a limited edition.

I guess my concern is heightened by the fact that you can no longer purchase the box set from Amazon. Last week, they claimed the box set was being released on March 30th, which didn't make much sense. Today is March 30th, and now Amazon states that "this item is no longer available from the manufacturer."
If that is the case, it seems like they are all gone.

If WB let me place an order and screws me around for another 2 weeks, only to refund my money, I'm going to be a grumpy customer.

I don't want to cause any alarm for anyone still waiting on the box set, but there seems to be cause for concern that (at least the US version) is all gone. I'm holding out hope, as you can still order the box set from WB, so perhaps they really do have more. But if you have yet to purchase one, I would get on it (and consider a third party if you are confident they actually have it.
Last edited by CandyCaneKid on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

There are 5 of them sitting on the shelf at my local HMV priced at 209.99 CDN, at least there was as of Sunday. I can pick one up for anyone who needs a hand. PM me.
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

great...i'm officially worried...*sigh*...not angry at ya CCK, but man, i Really really hope they don't cancel my order or run out... I tend to get really paranoid about these things...I sent mine in for an Exchange last week....

7th son, i'd love to take you up on an offer just to be safe on this, BUT i don't wanna say yes and then get a box in the mail...
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
CandyCaneKid
Little Bird

Post by CandyCaneKid »

Like I said, I don't want to worry anyone; however, I am now considering my alternatives. Everything may be all well and good, and we could all ave our box sets in a week or two - but I want to be braced for the possibility that it won't happen.

I'm not sure how much weight to put into this, but I also got some info from a record store owner who I've been bugging on e-bay. He has 12 copies of the box set, 6 available on e-bay. He claims he was able to score a lot of copies because he knows a sales rep at Warner Brothers (but then again, shouldn't every record store owner know a WB sales rep?). He also tells me "they have one more shipment of these" (not sure what that means exactly, but does suggest there are more left) and he claims they only made 2,000 - which I suppose would just be for the US version.
If he is correct, then there are some left. If not, at least he has them for sale at a decent price.

I will report back when WB gets back to me.
Last edited by CandyCaneKid on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I bet I could find 10 of these for sale in my city if I wanted. I haven't actually looked but there are at least a couple of stores that would have it (one of them had the Aluminium CD and still has a set of cameras for sale)
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.