Peppermint Triple Tremelo Bluetooth Speaker

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
Jamie
Little Ghost

Peppermint Triple Tremelo Bluetooth Speaker

Post by Jamie »

I designed and built a bluetooth speaker based on the Peppermint Triple Tremelo, thought you guys might be interested in seeing it.

(If Youtube embedding doesn't work, here's the link: https://youtu.be/EwGCQCBpBMs)

This took me about a month to finish from the idea manifesting to completion. I had no idea how to do anything with electronics so had to learn along the way. It's about 4.5"x4"x4", contains 2x 20w speakers and a 1000ah lithium ion battery that should get around 20 hours of usage from one charge. It can run from the battery or be powered from the mains with a standard 1a micro-USB cable. The peppermint spins at 45rpm and can be controlled independently by it's own switch. It's also ridiculously heavy for it's size.

You can look at more of my stuff at http://arminsfrozenpeas.co.uk

Here's some more pics:

Last edited by Jamie on Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Re: Peppermint Triple Tremelo Bluetooth Speaker

Post by bkramer10 »

Damn that’s pretty cool! Been a while since I’ve seen the community build something unique. I want one but I imagine its too much work to make and sell these so I might try to do one for myself. Thanks for the idea! How much trial and error did you have?
Jamie
Little Ghost

Re: Peppermint Triple Tremelo Bluetooth Speaker

Post by Jamie »

bkramer10 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:14 pm Damn that’s pretty cool! Been a while since I’ve seen the community build something unique. I want one but I imagine its too much work to make and sell these so I might try to do one for myself. Thanks for the idea!
It wouldn't be reasonable to sell in it's current form, this one cost me about £50-60 to make and then there's the time and effort factor as well since everything was made as a one-off. With enough time, money and resources I'm sure production could be scaled up quite easily but it's not something I'd be willing to take on.
bkramer10 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:14 pmHow much trial and error did you have?
Almost none, which is the part I was most proud of myself for. I spent a ridiculous amount of hours tinkering in the CAD software to make sure that everything would fit and work together perfectly and to my great surprise it actually did first time. The only thing I did beforehand was to 3D print a tolerance test for the pegs and holes to make sure I could adjust the fittings so that it would all snap together perfectly.

In fact that's the only thing I changed, I originally designed this so that all of the pieces would snap together in place but once I put it together it looked too neat, like a toy. I disassembled it, cut off the pegs and sanded down the edges of the exterior panels a bit to distress it and then glued it together instead. I think the imperfections make it look much closer to the real one.