Lego "Fell In Love With A Girl" Custom Set

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Lego "Fell In Love With A Girl" Custom Set

Post by rsimms3 »

Great points, gotta pay for the stuff that doesn't sell (lunch boxes and crop top t-shirts).

And if you think this is bad, go read about the eBay/split color White Stripes reissue kerfuffle of 2010.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I disassembled and tallied all the bricks, put those numbers into BrickLink and came up with $12-$16 for the cost of bricks minus the large blue plate if you wanted to be true to the original design. I substituted when possible in the design to reduce number of bricks but does not change the actual look of the models (it's LEGO after all...). I need to tear it all down, recount, and verify the numbers again later this week. Once I've done that I'll share the BrickLink XML file here so folks can order bricks. Then I'll do some videos on assembly. I took a bunch of pictures but it's not really that easy to get the flow and lighting just right.

Also, I was just comparing my model to the pictures I took/have of the one at the store...the one they just sold isn't correct. Jack's head isn't attached properly, he's got no neck in the RSD kit.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

rsimms3 wrote:I disassembled and tallied all the bricks, put those numbers into BrickLink and came up with $12-$16 for the cost of bricks minus the large blue plate if you wanted to be true to the original design. I substituted when possible in the design to reduce number of bricks but does not change the actual look of the models (it's LEGO after all...). I need to tear it all down, recount, and verify the numbers again later this week. Once I've done that I'll share the BrickLink XML file here so folks can order bricks. Then I'll do some videos on assembly. I took a bunch of pictures but it's not really that easy to get the flow and lighting just right.

Also, I was just comparing my model to the pictures I took/have of the one at the store...the one they just sold isn't correct. Jack's head isn't attached properly, he's got no neck in the RSD kit.
Curious what your brick count came to. Mine was 184, trying to be as efficient as possible without compromising structural integrity. The "official" set is 213 as the guy who did it decided to include enough to spell out the band name too for some reason. I doubt that can be done with just the 29 brick difference so I'm guessing theirs is a fair few bricks less.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

201 without the large blue plate.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Oh crap, now the completist in me is going to want the TMR version and TWO variants..and to somehow get the one out of the case at the storefront? :D
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

rsimms3 wrote:I disassembled and tallied all the bricks, put those numbers into BrickLink and came up with $12-$16 for the cost of bricks minus the large blue plate if you wanted to be true to the original design. I substituted when possible in the design to reduce number of bricks but does not change the actual look of the models (it's LEGO after all...). I need to tear it all down, recount, and verify the numbers again later this week. Once I've done that I'll share the BrickLink XML file here so folks can order bricks. Then I'll do some videos on assembly. I took a bunch of pictures but it's not really that easy to get the flow and lighting just right.

Nice! Thanks!
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

You know what? Screw it. I worked too hard on this for myself and I really wanted to share it so it's a shame for that to go to waste. Plus I've just seen a photo of their version of the instructions and the more I see of theirs the lazier the whole thing looks (poor box design, inaccurate models, lots of blank space on the pages etc). I also don't want rsimms to have to waste his own time doing work that's already been done.

Box Template PDF
Instructions PDF

If TMR are reading this, I really hope that the timing of this was purely a coincidence because if it wasn't, and your decision to make a set was formed from seeing mine posted here, then you outsourced it to someone who executed it really poorly in my opinion. I also hope you don't see this as anything other than something that was intended as a not-for-profit fan project to help as many people as possible get their own sets of something they've been asking for for a decade, and would have been fine to do had I have done this a month ago (I got sidetracked by another design project I was working on before I was able to properly look into manufacturing costs)

Feel free to ask questions or give feedback. Don't be a dick and start trying to sell it or anything. And if you do share it, a credit back to here would be much appreciated as I try to make a living doing freelance design projects for people and word of mouth is mainly how I pick projects up.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Jamie wrote:You know what? Screw it. I worked too hard on this for myself and I really wanted to share it so it's a shame for that to go to waste. Plus I've just seen a photo of their version of the instructions and the more I see of theirs the lazier the whole thing looks (poor box design, inaccurate models, lots of blank space on the pages etc). I also don't want rsimms to have to waste his own time doing work that's already been done.

Box Template PDF
Instructions PDF

If TMR are reading this, I really hope that the timing of this was purely a coincidence because if it wasn't, and your decision to make a set was formed from seeing mine posted here, then you outsourced it to someone who executed it really poorly in my opinion. I also hope you don't see this as anything other than something that was intended as a not-for-profit fan project to help as many people as possible get their own sets of something they've been asking for for a decade, and would have been fine to do had I have done this a month ago (I got sidetracked by another design project I was working on before I was able to properly look into manufacturing costs)

Feel free to ask questions or give feedback. Don't be a dick and start trying to sell it or anything. And if you do share it, a credit back to here would be much appreciated as I try to make a living doing freelance design projects for people and word of mouth is mainly how I pick projects up.
Whoa - The template and instructions are amazing. Nicely done!
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Wow Jamie - excellent design and production. And thanks for your generosity. I believe that kindness, creativity, and action are the best medicine to keep us all going in the darkness of the world we live in. Your post checks all of those boxes.

So, I just made a donation to the ALS Association under the name Jamie Whiteswirl, in honor of Sponge Bob. I encourage all of you to take a kind action in response to Jamie. Critical Mass people.

Personally, being 50 and an HSU grad, the passing of Stephen Hillenberg affected me deeply.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

That's very kind, thank you. I'll just be happy as long as nobody tries to benefit from it and also if people continue to refrain from pluralising Lego incorrectly.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I finished my reinventory. The design is different in in parts from both the RSD version as well as Jamie's based on my personal research of the model at TMR. I'll put up a Bricklink file this evening. The main difference is how Jack's head is attached, all three versions are different.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Nice, curious what you have. You just reminded me that I think the single stud under the neck was my own personal addition, as it allowed for a firmer way to support the neck and keep it centered. Edit: Scratch that, I did that with Meg.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The front is a single white 1x1 plate and the neck is a single white 1x1 brick for the proper height. The most accurate design is also the least stable, mass production was certainly not the goal.

I notice your guitar is 2 studs deep, the original is only 1 stud deep.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Ah, that makes sense. I actually think I prefer the longer neck as it makes it more consistent to the Meg model but that's just personal preference.

I do remember changing the guitar now you mention it, I opted for 2 deep so that it had more support, as you can use bricks that also make up part of his body. The original version was incredibly flimsy. I forgot that was something I did though so thanks for pointing it out.