Jack contributes to "Achtung Baby" tribute album

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Jack contributes to "Achtung Baby" tribute album

Post by Aquamarine »

chris865
Little Ghost

Re: Jack contributes to "Achtung Baby" tribute album

Post by chris865 »

Love is blindness will be a great song for JW to cover, can't wait for that one.

I see Q magazine is also commissioning the album, can't really expect Bono to foot the bill.
I heard he's down to his last $1bn.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

chris865 wrote:
I see Q magazine is also commissioning the album, can't really expect Bono to foot the bill.
I heard he's down to his last $1bn.
Times are tough, man!
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

ew...
he is everything i hate...
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Here is the actual recording... very very psychedelic to the degree of sounding like Janis Joplin mixed Robert Plant but beautifully

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2011/10/jac ... cover.html
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:Here is the actual recording... very very psychedelic to the degree of sounding like Janis Joplin mixed Robert Plant but beautifully

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2011/10/jac ... cover.html
LOVE it!
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

Post by I Ate The Walrus »

Sounds fantastic, but needs more icp.
cconrad1
Little Bird

Post by cconrad1 »

Only Jack could take a U2 song and give it so much emotion. U2 has always seemed one dimensional to me, but Jack war really open this song and give it some fascinating layers
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

cconrad1 wrote:Only Jack could take a U2 song and give it so much emotion. U2 has always seemed one dimensional to me, but Jack war really open this song and give it some fascinating layers
Really? Have you ever listened to One, Running to Stand Still, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, i could name another 50.I mean LISTENED not just heard.

Jacks a great guitarist and raw as they come but let's not start the "only Jack" BS.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

flattop2001 wrote:
cconrad1 wrote:Only Jack could take a U2 song and give it so much emotion. U2 has always seemed one dimensional to me, but Jack war really open this song and give it some fascinating layers
Really? Have you ever listened to One, Running to Stand Still, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, i could name another 50.I mean LISTENED not just heard.

Jacks a great guitarist and raw as they come but let's not start the "only Jack" BS.
Amen
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

the 'only Jack' syndrome

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

No mistaking that U2 have a phenomenal delivery and sound but the atmospherics in that cover are really pretty unique ... at some point that sort of artistry has to be considered a bench mark even if other artists follow along afterwards to study it and bring similar efforts to the table you have to kind of admit that he does make it his own and bring some added impact to it

Nothing is worse than hearing a cover where the song actually suffers from the delivery or the lameness of the 'artistry' :geek:
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Re: the 'only Jack' syndrome

Post by flattop2001 »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:No mistaking that U2 have a phenomenal delivery and sound but the atmospherics in that cover are really pretty unique ... at some point that sort of artistry has to be considered a bench mark even if other artists follow along afterwards to study it and bring similar efforts to the table you have to kind of admit that he does make it his own and bring some added impact to it

Nothing is worse than hearing a cover where the song actually suffers from the delivery or the lameness of the 'artistry' :geek:
I think that for a cover artist to "make a song their own" the song needs to be well known and liked by the judge and the new version makes the original obsolete. There are few examples I have come across

Patti Smith - Gloria
Jeff Buckley - Halleluiah
Waterboys - Maggie’s Farm
Hendrix, Led Z & Beatles - Pretty much every song they covered

This is a great cover, but is JW covering U2 in his style, if you like him more, or dislike U2 then you will like his version more, but I don’t think it takes away from the original or makes it obsolete so I don’t think he "makes it his own" IMO
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

flattop2001 wrote:the song needs to be well known and liked by the judge and the new version makes the original obsolete. There are few examples I have come across

Patti Smith - Gloria
I love all those, but I sure as heck don't think they make the originals obsolete. :shock: In each case, it's like they've become two different songs, each great in its own way. That's what making a song your own means, and that's what I think Jack does here. It's not that the U2 version is better or worse, it's so totally different it's like a different song. That's what I think Jack was going for, otherwise he'd just have ended up with an imitation.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:I love all those, but I sure as heck don't think they make the originals obsolete. :shock: In each case, it's like they've become two different songs, each great in its own way. That's what making a song your own means, and that's what I think Jack does here. It's not that the U2 version is better or worse, it's so totally different it's like a different song. That's what I think Jack was going for, otherwise he'd just have ended up with an imitation.
I'd agree with this and add that I don't think that Jack is capable of imitation, even when he seem to be trying to (such as on the Beefheart covers). His covers always have some sort of twist to them, whether it's the way he breaks it down, or his vocal delivery, or whatever raging guitar solo he throws in, or how he alters the lyrics, what have you. Whether you consider that "making them his own" is subjective.

And the question of whether a cover eclipses the original is also, of course, subjective. I listened to U2's version of this song when this tribute was announced and was tremendously moved by it, yet Jack's is the one I can't stop listening to. Does that make his better? No, it just means that his delivery wrenches my guts in a way that U2's doesn't. But they're both beautiful and having compared the two has made me want to go back and try again to get into U2. And that's one of the greatest things about a cover song, no matter which version you end up preferring.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Some memorable covers for me include

Sinead OConnor - Nothing Compares to you
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Patti Smith - my generation
Dear Prudence - Siouxsie & the banshees
Grace jones - nightclubbing
Man who sold the world - Nirvana

flattop2001 wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:No mistaking that U2 have a phenomenal delivery and sound but the atmospherics in that cover are really pretty unique ... at some point that sort of artistry has to be considered a bench mark even if other artists follow along afterwards to study it and bring similar efforts to the table you have to kind of admit that he does make it his own and bring some added impact to it

I think that for a cover artist to "make a song their own" the song needs to be well known and liked by the judge and the new version makes the original obsolete. There are few examples I have come across

Patti Smith - Gloria
Hendrix, Led Z & Beatles - Pretty much every song they covered

This is a great cover, but is JW covering U2 in his style, if you like him more, or dislike U2 then you will like his version more, but I don’t think it takes away from the original or makes it obsolete so I don’t think he "makes it his own" IMO