Jack contributes to "Achtung Baby" tribute album

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: the 'only Jack' syndrome

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

flattop2001 wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:the atmospherics in that cover are really pretty unique ... at some point that sort of artistry has to be considered a bench mark

he does make it his own and bring some added impact to it

I think that for a cover artist to "make a song their own" the song needs to be well known and liked by the judge and the new version makes the original obsolete.

I don’t think it takes away from the original or makes it obsolete so I don’t think he "makes it his own" IMO
well... im gonna disagree about obsolescence and give Aqua a nod on the comment she made but respect and appreciate that you have a good criteria for truly memorable covers which push the bench mark to their artistry and thus ownership

for me your opinion discounts my original above points of commentary... Jacks atmospherics leave bono and edge for a wanting if i do say so

the impact of Jacks emotive qualities range from primal eruption to calculated hand-vocal coordination wastes no element of dimension and U2 doesnt

ultimately owning the song is not as challenging as one might imagine to the point of expressing the idea that it would be harder for U2 to own a White Stripes or Dead Weather song than it is for Jack to own theirs ... does this put me in the 'only Jack camp' ... not really but it does create gradient value

so.. the benchmark was raised in my opinion and as minor as the upgrade was i think the song surrendered itself fully and Jack took it
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
cconrad1
Little Bird

Re: Jack contributes to "Achtung Baby" tribute album

Post by cconrad1 »

flattop2001 wrote:
cconrad1 wrote:Only Jack could take a U2 song and give it so much emotion. U2 has always seemed one dimensional to me, but Jack war really open this song and give it some fascinating layers
Really? Have you ever listened to One, Running to Stand Still, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, i could name another 50.I mean LISTENED not just heard.

Jacks a great guitarist and raw as they come but let's not start the "only Jack" BS.

Trust me, I have listened to all of U2s discography, and, to be honest, I think they are a joke.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

cconrad1 wrote:
flattop2001 wrote:
cconrad1 wrote:Only Jack could take a U2 song and give it so much emotion. U2 has always seemed one dimensional to me, but Jack war really open this song and give it some fascinating layers
Really? Have you ever listened to One, Running to Stand Still, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, i could name another 50.I mean LISTENED not just heard.

Jacks a great guitarist and raw as they come but let's not start the "only Jack" BS.

Trust me, I have listened to all of U2s discography, and, to be honest, I think they are a joke.
Sounds like you have heard U2s discography, but not listened to it.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
cconrad1
Little Bird

Post by cconrad1 »

Stl_ben wrote:
cconrad1 wrote:
flattop2001 wrote:

Sounds like you have heard U2s discography, but not listened to it.

oooooooooooooooooooooo. touche.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

yeah ... i checked out that Garbage cover the other day... that shirley is a winner when it comes to finding the meat of a songs quality

on another note i heard 'In the Name of Love' today and thought about how appropriately U2 has released particular songs such as 'Bloody Sunday' when it was exactly what people really seemed to need to hear at that point in the realm of 'current events' ... there is no replacing timely address and righteous delivery

lately i have been hearing 'love is blindness' as some kind of internal soundtrack to whats going on around me... i figure its best to keep listening
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Interesting, the last line of this review: "By the way, how's that solo joint coming along?"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songr ... s-20111102
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

So finally found this at a local book store...and it didn't have a CD with it. Anyone in the USA have better luck? I am still looking for one.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Interesting, the last line of this review: "By the way, how's that solo joint coming along?"

My take is that it's speculation mining, nothing more.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:Interesting, the last line of this review: "By the way, how's that solo joint coming along?"

My take is that it's speculation mining, nothing more.
Shush, doubt. You are not welcome here.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

See what I did there? :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Only Jack can shush me. And it didn't even work for him ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

i think its been stated by Jack that he is working on his solo stuff all along but he is intrinsically inspired by that which is around him and we currently are only hearing the remnants of the solo work as his sketches and studies which are meant to be directly tagged to his cosmos of muses... i believe there is a lot that he is caputuring that we dont hear

i suspsect that his musical vocabulary is growing in leaps and bounds right now which adds up to more than speculation when you figure that there is a vast future on the front end of the Third Man Mast Head that is as prolific as some kind of viral agent... my personal opinion on the specifics of this matter may waffle according to the details of how Blackwell and White are going to play out the pap and pablum of their inner journey as motivated stylists but i assure you that the potentcy of their creative tension is not yet even at half mast

ahoy Matey... its not about the goal but the fact that the journey is well under way